Allocation Of Generic Advertising Funds Among Products: A Sales Maximization Approach
With the passage of the Dairy and Tobacco Adjustment Act of 1983, dairy farmer investment in product research, nutrition education, advertising, and promotion in the United States increased from $60 million to $200 million annually. A key decision faced by boards managing these funds is how best to allocate available advertising funds among the various dairy products. In this paper an economic model is developed that shows the allocation of funds among products that would maximize sales in a given market. The model is applied to the New York City market with results suggesting that over the study period diverting funds from fluid milk to cheese advertising would have enhanced milk-equivalent sales in the market by as much as 1.17% or 8.21 million gallons annually. Alternatively, the model suggests that the same sales level could have been achieved with a different allocation of funds resulting in an estimated 14.6% savings in the amount spent advertising the two products.
Volume (Year): 17 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. E. Doran & J. J. Quilkey, 1972. "Harmonic Analysis of Seasonal Data: Some Important Properties," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 54(4_Part_1), pages 646-651.
- C. P. Rosson & M. D. Hammig & J. W. Jones, 1986. "Foreign market promotion programs: An analysis of promotion response for apples, poultry, and tobacco," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 33-42.
- Ronald W. Ward & William F. McDonald, 1986. "Effectiveness of generic milk advertising: A ten region study," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 77-89.
- Novakovic, Andrew M., 1986. "Detailed Summary of the Dairy Provisions of the Food Security Act of 1985," EB Series 185828, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Gunjal, Kisan R., 1985. "The Effects Of Trade Promotion On Canadian Agricultural Exports," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 14(2), October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nejare:29064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.