Estimation Of Firm-Varying, Input-Specific Efficiencies In Dairy Production
Firm-varying production technologies were estimated using random coefficients regression methods for a sample of Massachusetts dairy farms. Results were compared to OLS Cobb-Douglas production function estimates. The random coefficients regression model was found to virtually eliminate conventionally measured firm technical inefficiencies by estimating individual firm technologies and ascribing remaining inefficiencies to specific inputs. Input-specific measures of firm inefficiencies showed hired labor, land, and machinery inputs to be used in excess of efficient levels. Livestock supplies were underutilized by all farms. Efficiencies of feed, crop materials, fuels, and utilities varied, although estimated means were closer to optimal levels.
Volume (Year): 21 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1980. "Maximum likelihood estimation of econometric frontier functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-56, May.
- P. A. V. B. Swamy & Peter A. Tinsley, 1976.
"Linear prediction and estimation methods for regression models with stationary stochastic coefficients,"
Special Studies Papers
78, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Swamy, P. A. V. B. & Tinsley, P. A., 1980. "Linear prediction and estimation methods for regression models with stationary stochastic coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 103-142, February.
- Raymond J. Kopp, 1981. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: A Reconsideration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 477-503.
- P.A.V.B. Swamy & Roger K. Conway & Peter von zur Muehlen, 1984. "The foundations of econometrics: are there any?," Special Studies Papers 182, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Luh, Yir-Hueih & Stefanou, Spiro E., 1989. "Dairy Supply And Factor Demand Response To Output Price Risk: An Econometric Assessment," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 18(2), October.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Belbase, Krishna P., 1987. "Technical Efficiency Of New York Dairy Farms," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 16(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nejare:29006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.