Dairy Supply And Factor Demand Response To Output Price Risk: An Econometric Assessment
The model of production decision making for the expected utility maximizing firm under output price uncertainty is applied to a panel Pennsylvania dairy operators. The model generalized duality implemented in this paper has the advantage of generating a system of supply and variable factor demand functions that consistently account for the presence of output price risk. The application to Pennsylvania dairy operators indicates that output price risk measured by the second and third moments of individual operators' historical output price series is not an important factor in production decision making. In addition to not maximizing expected utility, these operators are not expected profit maximizers.
Volume (Year): 18 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Pope, Rulon, 1985. "Price uncertainty and competitive firm behavior: Testable hypotheses from expected utility maximization," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 223-235, August.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Jean-Paul Chavas & Warren R. Grant & L. D. Schnake, 1985. "Marketing Margins and Price Uncertainty: The Case of the U.S. Wheat Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(3), pages 521-528.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Jean-Paul Chavas & Warren R. Grant, 1987. "A Market Equilibrium Analysis of the Impact of Risk on the U.S. Rice Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 69(4), pages 733-739.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Harry de Gorter, 1985.
"Regulation in a Dynamic Market: The U.S. Dairy Industry,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(4), pages 821-832.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Harry D. Gorter, 1985. "Regulation in a Dynamic Market: The U.S. Dairy Industry," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-34, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1979. "Statistical inference for a system of simultaneous, non-linear, implicit equations in the context of instrumental variable estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 275-302.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nejare:28872. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.