Regional and Temporal Variations in Transportation Costs for U.S. Imports from Canada
This paper examines the behavior of transportation costs associated with U.S. imports from Canada. In particular, it evaluates whether transportation costs for U.S. imports from Canada increased in the post-9/11 period, thereby contributing to a â€œthickeningâ€ of the Canada-U.S. border. It also identifies whether changes in transportation costs varied across U.S. customs districts encompassing land ports along the Canada-U.S. border. The evidence indicates that an earlier declining trend in transportation costs noticeably decelerated in the post-2001 period. Furthermore, there was substantial variation in the rate of deceleration across the sample customs districts. The variation seems to be related to differential impacts of government policies across regions, such as â€œTrusted Tradeâ€ programs, rather than to changes in commodity import mixes or susceptibility of commodity import mixes to border disruptions.
Volume (Year): 41 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004. "Trade Costs," NBER Working Papers 10480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004. "Trade Costs," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David Hummels, 2007. "Transportation Costs and International Trade in the Second Era of Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 131-154, Summer.
- Siew Hoon Lim & C.A. Knox Lovell, 2009. "Profit and productivity of US Class I railroads," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(7), pages 423-442.
- Steven Globerman & Paul Storer, 2009. "Border Security and Canadian Exports to the United States: Evidence and Policy Implications," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 35(2), pages 171-186, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:133343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.