Neighborhood Historic Preservation Status and Housing Values in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma
Using county tax assessor data, this paper estimates the property value impacts of his-toric designation of neighborhoods for Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. Methodological contri-butions of the study include allowing for spatial and temporal variation of hedonic prices and historic district property values along with the use of finely-delineated spatial fixed effects. Neighborhood historic designation is found to be associated with significant relative apprecia-tion of housing values in most districts. Factors appearing to influence the rate of appreciation are the time span of neighborhood historic designation and the area crime rate. The variation in results across historic neighborhoods suggests that policy makers need to take into account the conditions under which historic designation most likely can succeed.
Volume (Year): 39 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald A. Coffin, 1989. "The Impact of Historical Districts on Residential Property Values," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 221-228, Jul-Sep.
- Douglas S. Noonan, 2007. "Finding an Impact of Preservation Policies: Price Effects of Historic Landmarks on Attached Homes in Chicago, 1990-1999," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 21(1), pages 17-33, February.
- Philippe Cyrenne & Robert Fenton & Joseph Warbanski, 2006. "Historic Buildings and Rehabilitation Expenditures: A Panel Data Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(4), pages 349-380.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- Peter V. Schaeffer & Cecily Ahern Millerick, 1991. "The Impact of Historic District Designation on Property Values: An Empirical Study," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 5(4), pages 301-312, November.
- Redfearn, Christian L., 2009. "How informative are average effects? Hedonic regression and amenity capitalization in complex urban housing markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 297-306, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:132429. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.