Competitive Equilibrium of an Industry with Labor Managed Firms and Price Risk
This paper studies the effect of output-price uncertainty in an industry comprised of labor-managed firms (LMFs) in which the number of LMFs and their membership are determined endogenously. The exit condition for a risk-averse LMF member is formulated and the effect of various economic variables on the equilibrium quantities and prices are examined. We find that the equilibrium in our setting is similar to the one that emerges in a â€˜capitalisticâ€™ economy where firms are owned by profit-maximizing agents. However, the effects of increases in risk and risk aversion differ from those found in a short-run analysis of a single LMF.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/en/jrc.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Ira Horowitz, 1992. "Membership size in the educable cooperative facing uncertain demand," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 65-75, February.
- Nava Kahana & Jacob Paroush, 1984. "A Multi-factor Labor-managed Firm under Price Uncertainty," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 23-29, Jan-Mar.
- Bonin, John P., 1980. "On the theory of the competitive labor-managed firm under price uncertainty: A correction," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 331-337, September.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Horowitz, Ira, 1982. "More on the theory of the competitive labor-managed firm under price uncertainty," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 269-272, September.
- Podivinsky, Jan & Stewart, Geoff, 2003. "Why are labour-managed firms so rare? An analysis of entry using UK panel data," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0402, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Haruna, Shoji, 1988. "Industry equilibrium with uncertainty and labor-managed firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 83-88.
- Appelbaum, Elie & Katz, Eliakim, 1986. "Measures of Risk Aversion and Comparative Statics of Industry Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 524-29, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlorco:44675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.