Value-Based Marketing: A Dsicussion of Issues and Trends in the Slaughter Cattle Market
Pricing and technological innovation are discussed within the context of the beef industryâ€™s value-based marketing initiative. Cash and contract marketing practices for fed cattle are addressed with respect to slaughter volume and pricing methods (live, dressed, and grid). A methodology for estimating grid market share of weekly slaughter volume, based on USDA market reports (2004â€“2009), is introduced. Weekly grid market shares for the cash and contract markets are derived. Summary statistics indicate that grid pricing has become an important pricing mechanism, but has not surpassed average pricing with respect to slaughter volume market share.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~jab/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yanyan Liu & Mary K. Muth & Stephen R. Koontz & John D. Lawrence, 2009.
"Evidence of the role of marketing arrangements and valuation methods in improving beef quality,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 147-163.
- Muth, Mary K. & Liu, Yanyan & Koontz, Stephen & Lawrence, John D., 1009. "Evidence of the Role of Marketing Arrangements and Valuation Methods in Improving Beef Quality," Staff General Research Papers 13021, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Qasmi, Bashir A., 2002. "Does The Producer Have An Incentive To Sell Fed Cattle On A Grid?," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 5(01).
- Koontz, Stephen R. & Hoag, Dana L. & Brethour, John R. & Walker, Jodine L., 2008. "Production Inefficiency in Fed Cattle Marketing and the Value of Sorting Pens into Alternative Marketing Groups Using Ultrasound Technology," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(03), December.
- Feuz, Dillon M., 1999. "Market Signals In Value-Based Pricing Premiums And Discounts," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Ward, Clement E., 2005. "Beef Packers’ Captive Supplies: An Upward Trend? A Pricing Edge?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2).
- Anderson, John D. & Zeuli, Kimberly A., 2001. "The Revenue Risk Of Value-Based Pricing For Fed Cattle: A Simulation Of Grid Vs. Average Pricing," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(03).
- Fausti, Scott W. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Wagner, John J., 1998. "Value Based Marketing For Fed Cattle: A Discussion Of The Issues," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(01).
- Jayson L. Lusk & Randall Little & Allen Williams & John Anderson & Blair McKinley, 2003. "Utilizing Ultrasound Technology to Improve Livestock Marketing Decisions," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 203-217.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2007. "Economic Value of Selecting and Marketing Cattle by Leptin Genotype," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E. & Mintert, James R. & Peel, Derrell S., 1997. "Value-Based Pricing of Fed Cattle: Challenges and Research Agenda," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35837, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Dillon M. Feuz & Scott W. Fausti & John J. Wagner, 1993. "Analysis of the efficiency of four marketing methods for slaughter cattle," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(5), pages 453-463.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jloagb:127768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.