Value Of Increasing Kernel Uniformity
Kernel uniformity is an important quality attribute that can now be measured at low cost. This study analyzes the profitability of sorting to increase wheat kernel uniformity. Nonlinear programming is used to sort grain loads to maximize flour yield by increasing uniformity of kernel size and kernel hardness. Results of this analysis suggest increases in flour yield due to higher kernel uniformity are not enough to outweigh the costs of sorting.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, D. Demcey & Scherping, Daniel J. & Wilson, William W., 1992.
"Wheat Cleaning Decisions at Country Elevators,"
Agricultural Economics Reports
23329, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Adam, Brian D. & Kenkel, Philip L. & Anderson, Kim B., 1994. "The Economics Of Cleaning Winter Wheat For Export: An Evaluation Of Proposed Federal "Clean Grain" Standards," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- David A. Hennessy & Thomas I. Wahl, 1997.
"Discount Schedules and Grower Incentives in Grain Marketing,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 888-901.
- Hennessy, David A. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997. "Discount Schedules and Grower Incentives in Grain Marketing," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10672, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sivaraman, Eswar & Lyford, Conrad P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2002. "A General Framework For Grain Blending And Segregation," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 20(2).
- Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Economics of Purifying and Blending, The," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5261, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:31132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.