Value Of Increasing Kernel Uniformity
Kernel size uniformity is an important physical quality attribute in terms of processing efficiency, quality control, and milling yield. This study developed optimal grain sorting strategies for elevators to use to increase kernel size uniformity and determined the size of potential benefits from sorting. Cluster analysis and global optimization were used to sort grain loads to increase kernel size uniformity. Cluster analysis and global optimization increased the percent flour yield relative to no sorting by 0.13% and 0.32% respectively. Cluster analysis and global optimization increased the daily milling income relative to no sorting by 105 dollars (5%) and 266 dollars (13%) respectively.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, D. Demcey & Wilson, William W., 1993.
"Wheat Cleaning Decisions At Country Elevators,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Adam, Brian D. & Kenkel, Philip L. & Anderson, Kim B., 1994. "The Economics Of Cleaning Winter Wheat For Export: An Evaluation Of Proposed Federal "Clean Grain" Standards," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Sivaraman, Eswar & Lyford, Conrad P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2002. "A General Framework For Grain Blending And Segregation," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 20(2).
- Hennessy, David A. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997.
"Discount Schedules and Grower Incentives in Grain Marketing,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
10672, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy & Thomas I. Wahl, 1997. "Discount Schedules and Grower Incentives in Grain Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 888-901.
- Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Economics of Purifying and Blending, The," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5261, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:waealo:36106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.