Impacts of Mandatory Meat Hygiene Regulations on the New Zealand Meat Trade
As with most agricultural products in world trade, trade in meat products is restricted by a variety of non-tariff barriers in different countries. In the case of New Zealand meat products there are quota restrictions in the USA, Canada, and EU markets and hygiene regulations of varying standards in most markets. The building of demand models for such products is fraught with difficulties associated with such restrictions as well as problems of specification and error distribution. Gravity models of traded goods offer a possible methodology for handling these difficulties. This paper sets out a combined cross-section and time series model of the New Zealand meat trade for the period 1994-2003 including the impact of quotas and the adoption of mandatory meat hygiene regulations to trade.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Won W. Koo & David Karemera, 1991. "Determinants of World Wheat Trade Flows and Policy Analysis," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(3), pages 439-455, November.
- John Wilson & Tsunehiro Otsuki & Baishali Majumdsar, 2003.
"Balancing food safety and risk: do drug residue limits affect international trade in beef?,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 377-402.
- Wilson, John S. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Majumdar, Baishali, 2003. "Balancing Food Safety And Risk: Do Drug Residue Limits Affect International Trade In Beef?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21971, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fidele Ndayisenga & Jean Kinsey, 1994. "The structure of nontariff trade measures on agricultural products in high-income countries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 275-292.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S., 2001. "Food Safety Regulations And Global Food Trade Patterns," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20777, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:auagre:126108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.