A Multi-Sector Export Base Model Of Long-Run Regional Employment Growth
The relationships between intersectoral export and local employment and regional economic growth are analyzed in a long-run equilibrium framework. Dynamic location quotients decompose regional employment into export and local components for multiple sectors. Johansen's Full-Information Maximum Likelihood (FIML) approach is used to identify the existence and resultant rank of the co-integrating relationship between sectoral export and local employment in West Virginia's four metropolitan areas. Empirical results indicate inter-sectoral basic and non-basic employment form a co-integrating system of equations. Furthermore, this analysis shows that inter-sector shocks to local and export employment may cause multipliers to be positive or negative in magnitude.
Volume (Year): 29 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark S. Henry & J. C. O. Nyankori, 1981. "The Existence of Short-Run Economic Base Multipliers: Some New Empirical Evidence," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 448-458.
- James E. McNulty, 1977. "A Test of the Time Dimension in Economic Base Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 53(3), pages 359-368.
- Douglass C. North, 1955. "Location Theory and Regional Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 243-243.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Lesage, James P. & Reed, J. David, 1989. "The dynamic relationship between export, local, and total area employment," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 615-636, December.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-472, August.
- Clifton B. Luttrell & Charles M. Gray, 1970. "Metropolitan area growth: a test of export base concepts," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 8-24.
- Frank Giarratani & Paul D. McNelis, 1980. "Time Series Evidence Bearing on Crude Theories of Regional Growth," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 56(2), pages 238-248.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:31294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.