A Method For Evaluating Supply Response To Price Underwriting
In this paper a method for evaluating the supply response of individual producers to a price underwriting scheme is presented. The method includes precise formulae to take account of the impact of price underwriting on the producer's uncertain conditions. The Australian Wheat Board's guaranteed minimum price scheme is taken as a specific example of price underwriting in practice. Results show the scheme to lead to only relatively small supply responses. The impact on producer behaviour of an increase in price uncertainty in the presence of an underwriting scheme is also demonstrated in the paper.
Volume (Year): 32 (1988)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilbert, Christopher L, 1985. "Futures Trading and the Welfare Evaluation of Commodity Price Stabilisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(379), pages 637-661, September.
- Quiggin, John C., 1983.
"Underwriting Agricultural Commodity Prices,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 27(03), December.
- John C. Quiggin, 1983. "Underwriting Agricultural Commodity Prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 27(3), pages 200-211, December.
- Gallagher, Paul, 1978. "The Effectiveness Of Price Support Policy-Some Evidence For U.S. Corn Acreage Response," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Meyer, Jack & Ormiston, Michael B., 1983. "The comparative statics of cumulative distribution function changes for the class of risk averse agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 153-169, October.
- Bond, Gary E. & Wonder, Bernard, 1980. "Risk Attitudes Amongst Australian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 24(01), April.
- Anderson, Kym & Tyers, Rod, 1986. "Agricultural Policies of Industrial Countries and Their Effects on Traditional Food Exporters," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(179), pages 385-399, December.
- Kym Anderson & Rod Tyers, 1986. "Agricultural Policies of Industrial Countries and their Effects on Traditional Food Exporters," School of Economics Working Papers 1986-04, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Fraser, Rob W., 1986. "Supply Responses, Risk Aversion And Covariances In Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 30(02-03). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)