Agricultural cooperatives II: Can they facilitate access of small-scale farmers in South Africa to input and product markets?
The objective of this research is to investigate whether agricultural cooperatives can facilitate smallholder farmer access to input and product markets. Farmers in two case study communal areas of KwaZulu-Natal face high transaction costs as reflected primarily in their low levels of education and literacy, lack of market information, insecure property rights, poor road and communication infrastructure, and long distances to markets. Analysis of the reasons why cooperatives were originally established in various parts of the world suggests that most of the causes (such as poverty, market failure and high transaction costs) also apply to the study farmers, as do the seven international principles of cooperation. Smallholder farmers in both case study regions have the potential to grow high-value crops such as vegetables, fruit and cut flowers. In the supply chain from farm to market, the optimum boundary for each organization involved in the chain (e.g. cooperative and investor-oriented firm) depends on the minimum operational and transaction costs for each business.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iliopoulos, Constantine & Cook, Michael L., 1999. "The Internal Organization of the Cooperative Firm: An Extension of a New Institutional Digest," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 14.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B., 2000.
"Agroindustrialization, globalization, and international development: An overview of issues, patterns, and determinants,"
Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 195-205, September.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B., 2000. "Agroindustrialization, globalization, and international development An overview of issues, patterns, and determinants," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Trechter, David D. & King, Robert P. & Walsh, Laura, 2002. "Using Communications to Influence Member Commitment in Cooperatives," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 17.
- Holloway, Garth & Nicholson, Charles & Delgado, Chris & Staal, Steve & Ehui, Simeon, 2000. "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation: Transaction costs, cooperatives and milk-market development in the east-African highlands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 279-288, September.
- Johann Kirsten & Kurt Sartorius, 2002.
"Linking agribusiness and small-scale farmers in developing countries: Is there a new role for contract farming?,"
Development Southern Africa,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 503-529.
- Kirsten, Johann F. & Sartorius, Kurt, 2002. "Linking Agribusiness And Small-Scale Farmers In Developing Countries: Is There A New Role For Contract Farming?," Working Papers 18025, University of Pretoria, Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development.
- Fulton, Murray E. & Ketilson, Lou Hammond, 1992. "The Role of Cooperatives in Communities: Examples from Saskatchewan," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Piesse, Jenifer & Doyer, Tobias & Thirtle, Colin & Vink, Nick, 2005. "The changing role of grain cooperatives in the transition to competitive markets in South Africa," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 197-218, March.
- Holloway, Garth & Nicholson, Charles & Delgado, Chris & Staal, Steve & Ehui, Simeon, 2000. "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation Transaction costs, cooperatives and milk-market development in the east-African highlands," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Ortmann, Gerald F. & King, Robert P., 2007. "Agricultural Cooperatives I: History, Theory and Problems," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(1), March.
- Royer, Jeffrey S., 1999. "Cooperative Organizational Strategies: A Neo-Institutional Digest," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 14.
- Fulton, Joan R. & Popp, Michael P. & Gray, Carolyn, 1996. "Strategic Alliance and Joint Venture Agreements in Grain Marketing Cooperatives," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 11.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:agreko:10124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.