Tariffs and steel: US safeguard actions
A multiproduct spatial equilibrium model of world steel trade is presented in this paper. The model is used to analyse the impacts of the safeguard trade barriers brought about by the USA in order to protect their domestic industry from the so-called unfair competition. Emphasis is placed on the likely effect on the Australian industry and possible policy responses available to the industry. A case study is made of Australia’s three largest export products; namely, slab, hot-rolled and cold-rolled steel, which share some substitutability in supply and demand because of the nature of the industry. As a result of the safeguard barriers to steel trade, world steel prices fell and trade shifted away from the USA to other importing regions.
Volume (Year): 49 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Coate & Stephen Morris, .
CARESS Working Papres
97-2, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Stephen Coate & Stephen Morris, . ""Policy Persistence ''," CARESS Working Papres 95-19, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Stephen Coate & Stephen Morris, . "Policy Persistence," Penn CARESS Working Papers 8a66677895e9fcb3f6d813c0c, Penn Economics Department.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Ben Goodrich, 2002. "Time for a Grand Bargain in Steel?," Policy Briefs PB02-01, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jondrow, James M & Chase, David E & Gamble, Christopher L, 1982. "The Price Differential between Domestic and Imported Steel," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(3), pages 383-99, July.
- Batterham, Robert L. & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 1994. "Price-Linked Farm And Spatial Equilibrium Models," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(02), August.
- Crandall, Robert W., 1996. "From competitiveness to competition : The threat of minimills to large national steel companies," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 107-118.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:118505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.