Retrospectives: The Cold-War Origins of the Value of Statistical Life
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- H. Spencer Banzhaf, 2009. "Objective or Multi-Objective? Two Historically Competing Visions for Benefit-Cost Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(1), pages 3-23.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2006.
"Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(510), pages 10-23, March.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2005. "Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects," Working Papers 884, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 2006. "Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects," IZA Discussion Papers 1911, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Orley Ashenfelter, 2006. "Measuring the Value of a Statistical Life: Problems and Prospects," NBER Working Papers 11916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Broome, John, 1978. "Trying to value a life," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 91-100, February.
- Roland N. McKean, 1963. "Cost-Benefit Analysis And British Defence Expenditure," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 17-35, February.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003. "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," NBER Working Papers 9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Hammitt & Nicolas Treich, 2007.
"Statistical vs. identified lives in benefit-cost analysis,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 45-66, August.
- HAMMITT James K & TREICH Nicolas, 2006. "Statistical vs. Identified Lives in Benefit-Cost Analysis," LERNA Working Papers 06.11.204, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- James K. Hammitt & Nicolas Treich, 2007. "Statistical vs. Identified Lives in Benefit-Cost Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1931, CESifo.
- Esther-Mirjam Sent, 2007. "Some like it cold: Thomas Schelling as a Cold Warrior," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 455-471.
- Mirowski,Philip, 2002. "Machine Dreams," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521772839, September.
- Selma J. Mushkin, 1962. "Health as an Investment," NBER Chapters, in: Investment in Human Beings, pages 129-157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf, 2010. "Consumer Surplus with Apology: A Historical Perspective on Nonmarket Valuation and Recreation Demand," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 183-207, October.
- Mirowski,Philip, 2002. "Machine Dreams," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521775267, September.
- Charles Hitch, 1955. "An Appreciation of Systems Analysis," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 466-481, November.
- Trudy Ann Cameron, 2010. "Euthanizing the Value of a Statistical Life," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(2), pages 161-178, Summer.
- Selma J. Mushkin, 1962. "Health as an Investment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 129-129.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles Hitch, 1953. "Sub-Optimization in Operations Problems," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 1(3), pages 87-99, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Agamoni Majumder & S. Madheswaran, 2017. "Compensating wage differential and value of statistical life: a meta-analysis," The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Springer;The Indian Society of Labour Economics (ISLE), vol. 60(4), pages 527-548, December.
- Majumder, Agamoni & Madheswaran, S., 2016. "Value of statistical life: A meta analysis with mixed effects regression model," Working Papers 362, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Abraham, Rosa, 2016. "Informal employment in India: An analysis of forms and determinants," Working Papers 363, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Dower, Castaneda & Markevich, Andrei & Weber, Shlomo, 2018. "The Value of a Statistical Life in a Dictatorship: Evidence from Stalin," CEPR Discussion Papers 12814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foudi, SÃ©bastien & Spadaro, Joseph V. & Chiabai, Aline & Polanco-MartÃnez, JosuÃ© M. & Neumann, Marc B., 2017. "The climatic dependencies of urban ecosystem services from green roofs: Threshold effects and non-linearity," Ecosystem Services, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 223-233.
- Banzhaf, H. Spencer, 2016. "Constructing markets: environmental economics and the contingent valuation controversy," MPRA Paper 78814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nathalie B Simon & Chris Dockins & Kelly B Maguire & Stephen C Newbold & Alan J Krupnick & Laura O Taylor, 2019. "Policy Brief—What’s in a Name? A Search for Alternatives to “VSL”," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(1), pages 155-161.
- Wiktor L. (Vic) Adamowicz, 2016. "Economic Analysis and Species at Risk: Lessons Learned and Future Challenges," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 64(1), pages 21-32, March.
More about this item
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- J17 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Value of Life; Foregone Income
- N32 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
- N42 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:jecper:v:28:y:2014:i:4:p:213-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael P. Albert). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/aeaaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.