Forecasting Comparison of Long Term Component Dynamic Models for Realized Covariance Matrices
Novel model specifications that include a time-varying long-run component in the dynamics of realized covariance matrices are proposed. The modelling framework allows the secular component to enter the model either additively or as a multiplicative factor, and to be specified parametrically, using a MIDAS filter, or non-parametrically. Estimation is performed by maximizing a Wishart quasi-likelihood function. The one-step ahead forecasting performance is assessed by means of three approaches: model confidence sets, minimum variance portfolios and Value-at-Risk. The results show that the proposed models outperform benchmarks incorporating a constant long-run component both in and out-of-sample.
Volume (Year): (2016)
Issue (Month): 123-124 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, avenue Pierre Larousse, 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Web page: https://annals.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2013.
"Multivariate Volatility Modeling Of Electricity Futures,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 743-761, 08.
- bauwens, Luc & hafner, Christian & pierret, Diane, 2011. "Multivariate volatility modeling of electricity futures," CORE Discussion Papers 2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2011. "Multivariate Volatility Modeling of Electricity Futures," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-063, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Laurent, Sébastien & Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Violante, Francesco, 2013. "On loss functions and ranking forecasting performances of multivariate volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 1-10.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen Rombouts & Francesco Violente, 2009. "On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-45, CIRANO.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2009. "On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models," Cahiers de recherche 0948, CIRPEE.
- Colacito, Riccardo & Engle, Robert F. & Ghysels, Eric, 2011. "A component model for dynamic correlations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 45-59, September.
- BAUWENS, Luc & STORTI, Giuseppe & VIOLANTE, Francesco, 2012. "Dynamic conditional correlation models for realized covariance matrices," CORE Discussion Papers 2012060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Patton, Andrew J., 2011. "Volatility forecast comparison using imperfect volatility proxies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 246-256, January.
- Andrew Patton, 2006. "Volatility Forecast Comparison using Imperfect Volatility Proxies," Research Paper Series 175, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Golosnoy, Vasyl & Gribisch, Bastian & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2012. "The conditional autoregressive Wishart model for multivariate stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 211-223.
- Golosnoy, Vasyl & Gribisch, Bastian & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2010. "The conditional autoregressive wishart model for multivariate stock market volatility," Economics Working Papers 2010,07, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.