Forecasting Comparison of Long Term Component Dynamic Models for Realized Covariance Matrices
Novel model specifications that include a time-varying long-run component in the dynamics of realized covariance matrices are proposed. The modelling framework allows the secular component to enter the model either additively or as a multiplicative factor, and to be specified parametrically, using a MIDAS filter, or non-parametrically. Estimation is performed by maximizing a Wishart quasi-likelihood function. The one-step ahead forecasting performance is assessed by means of three approaches: model confidence sets, minimum variance portfolios and Value-at-Risk. The results show that the proposed models outperform benchmarks incorporating a constant long-run component both in and out-of-sample.
Volume (Year): (2016)
Issue (Month): 123-124 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, avenue Pierre Larousse, 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Web page: https://annals.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2013.
"Multivariate Volatility Modeling Of Electricity Futures,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 743-761, 08.
- bauwens, Luc & hafner, Christian & pierret, Diane, 2011. "Multivariate volatility modeling of electricity futures," CORE Discussion Papers 2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2011. "Multivariate Volatility Modeling of Electricity Futures," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-063, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Laurent, Sébastien & Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Violante, Francesco, 2013. "On loss functions and ranking forecasting performances of multivariate volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 1-10.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen Rombouts & Francesco Violente, 2009. "On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-45, CIRANO.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2009. "On Loss Functions and Ranking Forecasting Performances of Multivariate Volatility Models," Cahiers de recherche 0948, CIRPEE.
- Golosnoy, Vasyl & Gribisch, Bastian & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2012. "The conditional autoregressive Wishart model for multivariate stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 211-223.
- Golosnoy, Vasyl & Gribisch, Bastian & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2010. "The conditional autoregressive wishart model for multivariate stock market volatility," Economics Working Papers 2010,07, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Patton, Andrew J., 2011. "Volatility forecast comparison using imperfect volatility proxies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 246-256, January.
- Andrew Patton, 2006. "Volatility Forecast Comparison using Imperfect Volatility Proxies," Research Paper Series 175, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Colacito, Riccardo & Engle, Robert F. & Ghysels, Eric, 2011. "A component model for dynamic correlations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 45-59, September.
- BAUWENS, Luc & STORTI, Giuseppe & VIOLANTE, Francesco, 2012. "Dynamic conditional correlation models for realized covariance matrices," CORE Discussion Papers 2012060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)