Profit Efficiency Analysis Under Limited Information. With an Application to German Farm Types
AbstractLack of information about technology and prices often hampers the empirical assessment of the validity of the profit maximization hypothesis. We show that the non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) methodology comprises natural tools for dealing with such incomplete information. In particular, we focus on the economic meaning of the DEA model that builds on assumptions of monotone and convex production possibility sets, and provide some extensions that further exploit this economic interpretation. This perspective on DEA is all the more attractive since its original use for technical efficiency analysis is sometimes questionable given its restrictive production assumptions. An application to German farm types complements our methodological discussion. By using nonparametric tools to test specific hypotheses about profit differences, we further demonstrate the potential of the non-parametric approach in deriving strong and robust statistical evidence while imposing minimal structure on the setting under study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics in its series Public Economics Working Paper Series with number ces0202.
Length: 28 pp.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Naamsestraat 69, 3000 Leuven
Phone: +32-(0)16-32 67 25
Fax: +32-(0)16-32 67 96
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/ew/academic/econover/default.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2007. "Profit efficiency analysis under limited information with an application to German farm types," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 335-349, June.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- P32 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Collectives; Communes; Agricultural Institutions
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2003-03-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2003-01-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2003-03-25 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2003. "On aggregate Farrell efficiencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 615-620, May.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1997.
"Estimation Of Moments And Production Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 631-637, November.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1996. "Estimation of moments and production decisions under uncertainty," Working Papers 1996_9, York University, Department of Economics.
- Erik Mathijs & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Production Organization And Efficiency During Transition: An Empirical Analysis Of East German Agriculture," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 100-107, February.
- Sarris, Alexander H & Doucha, Tomas & Mathijs, Erik, 1999. "Agricultural Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for Competitiveness and Rural Development," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 305-29, August.
- Piesse, Jenifer & Thirtle, Colin & Turk, Jernej, 1996. "Efficiency and Ownership in Slovene Dairying: A Comparison of Econometric and Programming Techniques," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2001. "Estimation of Profit Functions When Profit Is Not Maximum," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 1-19.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Hanoch, Giora & Rothschild, Michael, 1972. "Testing the Assumptions of Production Theory: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 256-75, March-Apr.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2001. "Technical Efficiency Evaluation: Naturally Dual!," Public Economics Working Paper Series wptchff, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Faere,Rolf & Grosskopf,Shawna, 1987. "On price efficiency," Discussion Paper Serie A 119, University of Bonn, Germany.
- M. J. Farrell, 1959. "The Convexity Assumption in the Theory of Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 377.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Nelson, Julianne, 1990. "On Price Efficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(3), pages 709-20, August.
- Talluri, Srinivas & Whiteside, Mary M. & Seipel, Scott J., 2000. "A nonparametric stochastic procedure for FMS evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(3), pages 529-538, August.
- M. Stone, 2002. "How not to measure the efficiency of public services (and how one might)," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(3), pages 405-434.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- FERRIER, Gary & KERSTENS, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1994.
"Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on a DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison using US Banking Data,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ferrier, G. D. & Kerstens, K. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., . "Radial and nonradial technical efficiency measures on a DEA reference technology: a comparison using US banking data," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1156, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gary D. FERRIER & Kristiaan KERSTENS & Philippe VANDEN EECKAUT, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison Using US Banking Data," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1994043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2005. "Profitability of a sample of Portuguese bank branches and its decomposition into technical and allocative components," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 850-866, May.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- Odeck, James, 2009. "Statistical precision of DEA and Malmquist indices: A bootstrap application to Norwegian grain producers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1007-1017, October.
- Hervé Leleu, 2012.
"Inner and Outer Approximations of Technology: A Shadow Profit Approach,"
2012-ECO-06, IESEG School of Management.
- Leleu, Hervé, 2013. "Inner and outer approximations of technology: A shadow profit approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 868-871.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Rock, Bram & Hennebel, Veerle, 2014.
"The economic meaning of Data Envelopment Analysis: A ‘behavioral’ perspective,"
Socio-Economic Planning Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-37.
- Laurens Cherchye & Bram De Rock, 2013. "The Economic Meaning of Data Envelopment Analysis: a "Behavioral" Perspective," Working Papers ECARES 2013/137577, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kazemi Matin, Reza, 2011. "Duality of weakly disposable technology," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 504-512, October.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Opening the black box of efficiency analysis: An illustration with UAE banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 930-941, August.
- Zhao, Y. & Triantis, K. & Murray-Tuite, P. & Edara, P., 2011. "Performance measurement of a transportation network with a downtown space reservation system: A network-DEA approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1140-1159.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristof Bosmans).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.