Learning from Input-Output Mixes in DEA: A Proportional Measure for Slack-Based Efficient Projections
AbstractSeveral Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) models use a radial distance measure that is based on the Debreu-Farrell notion of (in)efficiency. While this measure has an attractive interpretation, its use may be problematic if slacks or zeros are present in the data. The additive DEA model can perfectly deal with these problems, but the meaning of its associated scores is less intuitive than the one attached to the radial measures. We introduce an alternative efficiency measure, based on the results of the additive model, that can be decomposed in a Debreu-Farrell component and a factor that captures differences in input-output mixes with respect to those of the best practice reference observation. On an aggregate level, this second component can be considered as an indicator of the dispersion between radial efficiency measurement and results based on the Pareto-Koopmans efficiency notion. On the individual level, the measure allows us to regard relative inefficiency as resulting from (i) a divergence of implicit cost price vectors, and (ii) a cost level that is too high, even after adjustment for the implicit cost prices. Copyright Â© 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces9813.
Date of creation: Feb 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 1999. "Learning from input-output mixes in DEA: a proportional measure for slack-based efficient projections," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 151-161.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, T, 1998. "Learning from inout-output mixes in DEA: A proportional measure for slack-based efficient projections," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/119280, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary D. FERRIER & Kristiaan KERSTENS & Philippe VANDEN EECKAUT, 1994.
"Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison Using US Banking Data,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1994043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- FERRIER, Gary & KERSTENS, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on a DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison using US Banking Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1994023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ferrier, G. D. & Kerstens, K. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., . "Radial and nonradial technical efficiency measures on a DEA reference technology: a comparison using US banking data," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1156, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1979. "Measuring the efficiency of decision-making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 339-338, July.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.