On Price Efficiency
AbstractIn many instances, a firm's observed production choices will not be consistent with profit maximization or cost minimization at market prices. Such firms are generally assumed to minimize cost with respect to shadow prices. The authors extend this shadow cost function approach to allow for the identification of firm-specific shadow prices. Using a piecewise linear representation of the reference technology, they specify a linear program and interpret its solution as a set of shadow prices. The authors derive Farrell-like measures of dual allocative, technical, and overall efficiency. They close with an example illustrating the use of this technique. Copyright 1990 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph Paradi & Fai Tam, 2012. "The examination of pseudo-allocative and pseudo-overall efficiencies in DEA using shadow prices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 115-123, April.
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2002.
"Profit Efficiency Analysis Under Limited Information. With an Application to German Farm Types,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0202, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2007. "Profit efficiency analysis under limited information with an application to German farm types," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 335-349, June.
- Cho, Bo-Hyun & Hooker, Neal H., 2004. "The Opportunity Cost Of Food Safety Regulation - An Output Directional Distance Function Approach," Working Papers 28316, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2007.
"Eco-efficiency analysis of consumer durables using absolute shadow prices,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 57-69, October.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2005. "Eco-Efficiency Analysis of Consumer Durables Using Absolute Shadow Prices," Public Economics 0511022, EconWPA.
- Laurens Cherchye & Bram De Rock, 2013.
"The Economic Meaning of Data Envelopment Analysis: a "Behavioral" Perspective,"
Working Papers ECARES
2013/137577, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Rock, Bram & Hennebel, Veerle, 2014. "The economic meaning of Data Envelopment Analysis: A ‘behavioral’ perspective," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-37.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2001. "DEA with efficiency classification preserving conditional convexity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 326-342, July.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas & Gounaris, Chrysostomos, 2001. "Assessing the technical and allocative efficiency of hospital operations in Greece and its resource allocation implications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 416-431, January.
- Triantis, Konstantinos & Otis, Paul, 2004. "Dominance-based measurement of productive and environmental performance for manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 447-464, April.
- Guido Cella & Giovanni Pica, 2001. "Inefficiency Spillovers in Five OECD Countries: An Interindustry Analysis," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 405-416.
- Grosskopf, S. & Margaritis, D. & Valdmanis, V., 1995. "Estimating output substitutability of hospital services: A distance function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 575-587, February.
- Cho, Bo-Hyun & Hooker, Neal H., 2004. "Measuring The Impact Of Food Safety Regulation-An Output Directional Distance Function Approach," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20016, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Zohra Mechemache, 2006. "Efficiency measurements and the gains from trade under transaction costs," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 67-85, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.