Firm and industry level profit efficiency analysis using absolute and uniform shadow prices
AbstractWe discuss the nonparametric approach to profit efficiency analysis at the firm and industry levels in the absence of complete price information. Two new insights are developed. First, we measure profit inefficiency in monetary terms using absolute shadow prices. Second, we evaluate all firms using the same input-output prices. This allows us to aggregate firm-level profit inefficiencies to the overall industry inefficiency. Besides the measurement of profit losses, the presented approach enables one to recover absolute price information from quantity data. We conduct a series of Monte Carlo simulations to study the performance of the proposed approach in controlled production environments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 202 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis (DEA) Directional distance function The law of one price;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kazemi Matin, Reza, 2011. "Duality of weakly disposable technology," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 504-512, October.
- Fang, Lei, 2013. "A generalized DEA model for centralized resource allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(2), pages 405-412.
- Eskelinen, Juha & Halme, Merja & Kallio, Markku, 2014. "Bank branch sales evaluation using extended value efficiency analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 232(3), pages 654-663.
- Juan Aparicio & Jesus T. Pastor & Subhash Ray, 2012. "An Overall Measure of Technical Inefficiency at the Firm and at the Industrial Level: The 'Lost Return on the Dollar' Revisited," Working papers 2012-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Cooper, W.W. & Pastor, Jesus T. & Aparicio, Juan & Borras, Fernando, 2011. "Decomposing profit inefficiency in DEA through the weighted additive model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(2), pages 411-416, July.
- Aparicio, Juan & Borras, Fernando & Pastor, Jesus T. & Vidal, Fernando, 2013. "Accounting for slacks to measure and decompose revenue efficiency in the Spanish Designation of Origin wines with DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 231(2), pages 443-451.
- Mondelaers, Koen & Kuosmanen, Timo & Van Passel, Steven & Buysse, Jeroen & Lauwers, Ludwig H. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Sustainable Efficiency Of Firms When New Sustainability Targets Are Introduced," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114633, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Aparicio, Juan & Pastor, Jesus T. & Ray, Subhash C., 2013. "An overall measure of technical inefficiency at the firm and at the industry level: The ‘lost profit on outlay’," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(1), pages 154-162.
- Rødseth, Kenneth Løvold, 2013. "A note on input congestion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 599-602.
- Portela, Maria Conceição A. Silva & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2014. "Economic efficiency when prices are not fixed: disentangling quantity and price efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 36-44.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andrés J. & Beltrán-Esteve, Mercedes & Gómez-Limón, José A., 2012.
"Assessing eco-efficiency with directional distance functions,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 798-809.
- Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Mercedes Beltrán-Esteve & José A. Gómez-Limón, 2011. "Assessing eco-efficiency with directional distance functions," Working Papers 1110, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.