A Trade Institution as a Peaceful Institution?
AbstractRecent studies emphasize the occurrence of conflict as a rational economic activity as well as production and exchange. Agents are assumed to divide their efforts into fighting and productive activities, or as commonly denoted in ^Qguns^R and ^Qbutter^R. This paper does try to go beyond this ^Qmanichean^R idea assuming the Boulding^Rs concept of ^Qintegrative system^R. In particular, the paper investigates whether a trade institution committed to free and fair trade could foster ^Qpeaceful^R benefits for member countries. The analysis, produced in a very simplified world, counts as a founding pillar the Contest Success Function. The results of the model suggest that in an institutionalized scenario agents gain more both in terms of economic utility and in terms of peace than in ^Qcontinuing conflict^R and ^Qobstructed trade^R scenarios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0406003.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jun 2004
Date of revision: 15 Dec 2004
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 38
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Contest Success Function; Conflict; international Trade Institution.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles H. Anderton, 2003. "Conflict and Trade in a Predator/Prey Economy," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Caruso, Raul, 2006.
"Conflict and Conflict Management with Interdependent Instruments and Asymmetric Stakes,(The Good-Cop and the Bad-Cop Game),"
214, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2006.
- Caruso Raul, 2006. "Conflict and Conflict Management with Interdependent Instruments and Asymmetric Stakes, (The Good-Cop and the Bad-Cop Game)," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-55, September.
- Caruso, Raul, 2012.
"Differentials in Property Rights in a two sector-economy,"
NEPS Working Papers
2/2012, Network of European Peace Scientists.
- Raul Caruso, 2012. "Differentials in property Rights in a two-sector economy," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 122(2), pages 257-278.
- Raul Caruso, 2008.
"Reciprocity in the shadow of threat,"
International Review of Economics,
Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 91-111, April.
- Caruso, Raul, 2007. "A Tentative Model of Conflict, Appropriation and Production in a two-sector Economy," MPRA Paper 4053, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caruso, Raul, 2008.
"Spesa Pubblica E Criminalità Organizzata In Italia Evidenza Empirica Su Dati Panel Nel Periodo 1997-2003,"
6861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caruso Raul, 2009. "Spesa pubblica e criminalità organizzata in Italia: evidenza empirica su dati Panel nel periodo 1997-2003," Economia & lavoro, Carocci editore, issue 1, pages 73.
- Raul Caruso, 2009. "Spesa pubblica e criminalità organizzata in Italia: evidenza empirica su dati panel nel periodo 1997-2003," Economia & Lavoro, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini, issue 1, pages 73.
- Caruso, Raul, 2007.
"Continuing Conflict and Stalemate: A Note,"
2316, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caruso Raul, 2011. "On the Nature of Peace Economics," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 16(2), pages 1-13, January.
- Libman, Alexander Mikhailovich, 2009.
"Эндогенные Границы И Распределение Власти В Федерациях И Международных Сообществах
[ENDOGENOUS BOUNDARIES AND DISTRIBUTION O," MPRA Paper 16473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caruso, Raul, 2007. "THE Economics of Match-Fixing," MPRA Paper 3085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caruso, Raul, 2007. "Conflict and Conflict Managment with Asymmetric Stakes (The Bad-Cop and the Good Cop part II)," MPRA Paper 1438, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jacopo Costa & Raul Caruso & Roberto Ricciuti, 2012.
"The Probability of Military Rule in Africa, 1970-2007,"
17/2012, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Raul Caruso & Jacopo Costa & Roberto Ricciuti, 2011. "The probability of military rule in Africa, 1970-2007," Working Papers 2011/26, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Polachek Solomon W, 2011. "Current Research and Future Directions in Peace Economics: Trade Gone Awry," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 16(2), pages 1-14, January.
- Hernando Zuleta & Juanita Villaveces, 2008. "Conflict and negotiation: a game theoretical approach," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005148, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Raul Caruso, 2005. "A Very Simple Model of Conflict with Asymmetric Evaluations and Institutional Constraint," Public Economics 0510011, EconWPA.
- Caruso, Raul, 2011. "International Relative Prices and Civil Wars in Sub-Saharan Africa. Theory and Evidence over the period (1995-2006)," MPRA Paper 29761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.