Persistence Characteristics of Latin American Financial Markets
AbstractThe financial rates of return from Latin American stock and currency markets are found to be non-normal, non-stationary, non-ergodic and long-term dependent, i.e., they have long memory. The degree of long- term dependence is measured by monofractal (global) Hurst exponents from wavelet multiresolution analysis (MRA). Scalograms and scalegrams provide the respective visualizations of these wavelet coefficients and the power spectrum of the rates of return. The slope of the power spectrum identifies the Hurst exponent and thereby the degree of scaling dependence that cannot be determined by Box-Jenkins type time series analysis. Our dependency and time and frequency scaling results are consistent with similar empirical findings from American, European, and Asian financial markets, extending the domain of the empirical investigation of the dynamics and risk characteristics of financial markets and refuting the hypothesis of perfectly efficient markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0411013.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: 09 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 49
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
financial markets; long memory; Hurst exponent; scalegram; wavelets; multiresolution analysis; measurement accuracy;
Other versions of this item:
- Kyaw, NyoNyo A. & Los, Cornelis A. & Zong, Sijing, 2006. "Persistence characteristics of Latin American financial markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 269-290, July.
- Nyo Nyo A. Kyaw & Cornelis A. Los & Sijing Zong, 2004. "Persistence Characteristics of Latin American Financial Markets," Finance 0409048, EconWPA.
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-11-22 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-11-22 (Finance)
- NEP-IFN-2004-11-22 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tom Doan, . "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loretan, Mico & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1994.
"Testing the covariance stationarity of heavy-tailed time series: An overview of the theory with applications to several financial datasets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 211-248, January.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mandelbrot, Benoit, 1969. "Long-Run Linearity, Locally Gaussian Process, H-Spectra and Infinite Variances," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(1), pages 82-111, February.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "Capital Inflows into Latin America: A Stop-Go Story?," NBER Working Papers 6441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Sutthisit Jamdee & Cornelis A. Los, 2005.
"Long Memory Options: LM Evidence and Simulations,"
- Robert J. Elliott & John van der Hoek, 2003. "A General Fractional White Noise Theory And Applications To Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 301-330.
- Laurent Calvet & Adlai Fisher, 2002. "Multifractality In Asset Returns: Theory And Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 381-406, August.
- Greene, Myron T. & Fielitz, Bruce D., 1977. "Long-term dependence in common stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 339-349, May.
- Laurent Calvet & Adlai Fisher & Benoit Mandelbrot, 1999.
"A Multifractal Model of Assets Returns,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-072, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 1995. "A search for long memory in international stock market returns," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 597-615, August.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Los, Cornelis A., 1999.
"Nonparametric testing of the high-frequency efficiency of the 1997 Asian foreign exchange markets,"
Journal of Multinational Financial Management,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3-4), pages 265-289, November.
- Cornelis A. Los, 2004. "Nonparametric Testing of the High-Frequency Efficiency of the 1997 Asian Foreign Exchange Markets," Finance 0409040, EconWPA.
- Karuppiah, Jeyanthi & Los, Cornelis A., 2005.
"Wavelet multiresolution analysis of high-frequency Asian FX rates, Summer 1997,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 211-246.
- Cornelis A. Los & Jeyanthi Karuppiah, 2004. "Wavelet Multiresolution Analysis of High-Frequency Asian FX Rates, Summer 1997," Finance 0409037, EconWPA.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro J. F., 1994. "Long-range dependence in the conditional variance of stock returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 281-285.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Sadique, Shibley & Silvapulle, Param, 2001. "Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Returns: International Evidence," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Jamdee, Sutthisit & Los, Cornelis A., 2007.
"Long memory options: LM evidence and simulations,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 260-280, June.
- Chaker Aloui & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2014. "On the detection of extreme movements and persistent behavior in Mediterranean stock markets: a wavelet-based approach," Working Papers 2014-184, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Cornelis A. Los & Bing Yu, 2005.
"Persistence Characteristics of the Chinese Stock Markets,"
- Los, Cornelis A. & Yu, Bing, 2008. "Persistence characteristics of the Chinese stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 64-82.
- Espinosa Méndez, Christian, 2005.
"Evidencia De Comportamiento Caótico En Indices Bursátiles Americanos
[Evidence Of Chaotic Behavior In American Stock Markets]," MPRA Paper 2794, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Jun 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.