Stability and Fairness in Models with a Multiple Membership
AbstractThis article studies a model of coalition formation for the joint production (and finance) of public projects, in which agents may belong to multiple coalitions. We show that, if projects are divisible, there always exists a stable (secession-proof) structure, i.e., a structure in which no coalition would reject a proposed arrangement. When projects are in-divisible, stable allocations may fail to exist and, for those cases, we resort to the least core in order to estimate the degree of instability. We also examine the compatibility of stability and fairness on metric environments with indivisible projects. To do so, we explore, among other things, the performance of several well-known solutions (such as the Shapley value, the nucleolus, or the Dutta-Ray value) in these environments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) in its series TSE Working Papers with number 12-300.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Michel Le Breton & Juan Moreno-Ternero & Alexei Savvateev & Shlomo Weber, 2013. "Stability and fairness in models with a multiple membership," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 673-694, August.
- LE BRETON, Michel & MORENO-TERNERO, Juan D. & SAVVATEEV, Alexei & WEBER, Shlomo, 2010. "Stability and fairness in models with a multiple membership," CORE Discussion Papers 2010079, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Le Breton, Michel & Moreno-Ternero, Juan D. & Savvateev, Alexei & Weber, Shlomo, 2012. "Stability and Fairness in Models with a Multiple Membership," IDEI Working Papers 715, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Michel Le Breton & Juan D. Moreno-Ternero & Alexei Savvateev & Shlomo Weber, 2010. "Stability and Fairness in Models with a Multiple Membership," Working Papers 10.16, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Michel Le Breton & Juan D. Moreno-Ternero & Alexei Savvateev & Shlomo Weber, 2010. "Stability and Fairness in Models with a Multiple Membership," Working Papers 2010-10, Universidad de Málaga, Department of Economic Theory, Málaga Economic Theory Research Center.
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2012-05-08 (Game Theory)
- NEP-PPM-2012-05-08 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Arin & Elena Inarra, 2001. "Egalitarian solutions in the core," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 187-193.
- Kelso, Alexander S, Jr & Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "Job Matching, Coalition Formation, and Gross Substitutes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1483-1504, November.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Ostroy, Joseph M., 2002. "The Package Assignment Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 377-406, December.
- ReVelle, C.S. & Eiselt, H.A. & Daskin, M.S., 2008. "A bibliography for some fundamental problem categories in discrete location science," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 817-848, February.
- Alexei Savvateev & Jacques Drèze & Michel Le Breton & Shlomo Weber, 2007.
"“Almost” Subsidy-free Spatial Pricing in a Multi-dimensional Setting,"
2007.68, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Drèze, Jacques & Le Breton, Michel & Savvateev, Alexei & Weber, Shlomo, 2008. ""Almost" subsidy-free spatial pricing in a multi-dimensional setting," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 275-291, November.
- Jacques, DREZE & Michel, LE BRETON & Alexei , SAVVATEV & Sholmo, WEBER, 2007. "‘Almost’ subsidy-free spatial pricing in a multi-dimensional setting," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007030, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- DREZE, Jacques & LE BRETON, Michel & SAVVATEEV, Alexei & WEBER, Shlomo, 2007. "“Almost” subsidy-free spatial pricing in a multi-dimensional setting," CORE Discussion Papers 2007047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Luc Bauwens & David Veredas, 2007. "High frequency financial econometrics. Recent developments," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136223, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kolen, Antoon, 1983. "Solving covering problems and the uncapacitated plant location problem on trees," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 266-278, March.
- Alberto Alesina & Ignazio Angeloni & Federico Etro, 2005.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 602-615, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Ignazio Angeloni & Federico Etro, 2003. "International Unions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2001, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Angeloni, Ignazio & Etro, Federico, 2003. "International Unions," CEPR Discussion Papers 3913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Etro, Federico & Ageloni, Ignazio & Alesina, Alberto, 2005. "International Unions," Scholarly Articles 4553008, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Belleflamme,Paul & Peitz,Martin, 2010. "Industrial Organization," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521681599, December.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Lars Thorlund-Petersen & Bezalel Peleg, 2001. "On the set of Lorenz-maximal imputations in the core of a balanced game," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 147-165.
- Montero, Maria, 2006. "Noncooperative foundations of the nucleolus in majority games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 380-397, February.
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Ray, Debraj, 1989. "A Concept of Egalitarianism under Participation Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 615-35, May.
- Michel Le Breton & Shlomo Weber, 2003. "The Art of Making Everybody Happy: How to Prevent a Secession," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(3), pages 4.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.