AbstractWe study a continuous-time game of strategic experimentation in which the players try to assess the failure rate of some new equipment or technology. Breakdowns occur at the jump times of a Poisson process whose unknown intensity is either high or low. In marked contrast to existing models, we find that the cooperative value function does not exhibit smooth pasting at the efficient cut-off belief. This finding extends to the boundaries between continuation and stopping regions in Markov perfect equilibria. We characterize the unique symmetric equilibrium, construct a class of asymmetric equilibria, and elucidate the impact of bad versus good Poisson news on equilibrium outcomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich in its series Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems with number 396.
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, D-80539 Munich, Germany
Web page: http://www.sfbtr15.de/
More information through EDIRC
Strategic Experimentation; Two-Armed Bandit; Bayesian Learning; Poisson Process; Piecewise Deterministic Process; Markov Perfect Equilibrium; Differential-Difference Equation; Smooth Pasting; Continuous Pasting;
Other versions of this item:
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2013-01-26 (Game Theory)
- NEP-HPE-2013-01-26 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2013-01-26 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu & Kostas Bimpikis & Asuman Ozdaglar, 2008.
"Experimentation, Patents, and Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
14408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hugo A. Hopenhayn & Francesco Squintani, 2011.
"Preemption Games with Private Information,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 78(2), pages 667-692.
- Abreu, D. & Milgrom, P. & Pearce, D., 1990.
"Information And Timing In Repeated Partnerships,"
e-90-14, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Dilip Abreu & Paul Milgrom & David Pearce, 1997. "Information and timing in repeated partnerships," Levine's Working Paper Archive 636, David K. Levine.
- David G. Pearce & Dilip Abreu & Paul R. Milgrom, 1988. "Information and Timing in Repeated Partnerships," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 875, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bruno Strulovici, 2010.
"Learning While Voting: Determinants of Collective Experimentation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 78(3), pages 933-971, 05.
- Bruno Strulovici, 2008. "Learning while voting: determinants of collective experimentation," Economics Papers 2008-W08, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bruno Strulovici, 2008. "Learning While Voting: Determinants of Collective Experimentation," Economics Series Working Papers 2008-WO8, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bergemann, D. & Hege, U., 1997.
"Venture Capital Financing, Moral Hazard and Learning,"
1997-108, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1998. "Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 703-735, August.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1997. "Venture Capital Financing, Moral Hazard and Learning," CEPR Discussion Papers 1738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Strulovici, Bruno & Szydlowski, Martin, 2012.
"On the Smoothness of Value Functions,"
36326, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Jan 2012.
- Moscarini, Giuseppe & Squintani, Francesco, 2010. "Competitive experimentation with private information: The survivor's curse," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 639-660, March.
- repec:ner:toulou:http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/2442/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Decamps, Jean-Paul & Mariotti, Thomas, 2004. "Investment timing and learning externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 80-102, September.
- Dinah Rosenberg & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2007.
"Social Learning in One-Arm Bandit Problems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1591-1611, November.
- Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2001.
"Price Dispersion and Learning in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
21, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2003. " Price Dispersion and Learning in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(1), pages 138-65, Spring.
- Keller, R Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2001. "Price Dispersion and Learning in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 2919, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moritz Meyer-ter-Vehn & Simon Board, 2009. "Reputation for Quality," 2009 Meeting Papers 160, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti & Jean-Charles Rochet & StÈphane Villeneuve, 2010.
"Large Risks, Limited Liability, and Dynamic Moral Hazard,"
Econometric Society, vol. 78(1), pages 73-118, 01.
- Biais, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2007. "Large Risks, Limited Liability and Dynamic Moral Hazard," IDEI Working Papers 472, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Sep 2009.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1997.
"Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
/1997/333, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- repec:ner:toulou:http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/931/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Dumas, Bernard, 1991. "Super contact and related optimality conditions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 675-685, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.