Trading Volume in General Equilibrium with Complete Markets
AbstractThis paper investigates asset trade in a general-equilibrium complete-markets endowment economy with heterogeneous agents. It shows that standard no-trade results cease to hold when agents have heterogeneous beliefs and that substantial trade volume is generated, even in the presence of a spanning set of assets. Further, trade volume and price movements have a positive relationship in the model, as is well documented in the empirical literature. This paper also develops a computational algorithm for solving finite-period heterogeneous-beliefs economies and demonstrates how the problem is well suited for large-scale parallel computing methods, such as GPU computing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2012 Meeting Papers with number 36.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2012-10-13 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-DGE-2012-10-13 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Felix KUBLER & Karl SCHMEDDERS, 2010.
"Life-Cycle Portfolio Choice, the Wealth Distribution and Asset Prices,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
10-21, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Karl Schmedders & Felix Kubler, 2012. "Life-Cycle Portfolio Choice, the Wealth Distribution and Asset Prices," 2012 Meeting Papers 536, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eric M. Aldrich & Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & A. Ronald Gallant & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2010.
"Tapping the Supercomputer Under Your Desk: Solving Dynamic Equilibrium Models with Graphics Processors,"
10-89, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Aldrich, Eric M. & Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Ronald Gallant, A. & Rubio-Ramírez, Juan F., 2011. "Tapping the supercomputer under your desk: Solving dynamic equilibrium models with graphics processors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 386-393, March.
- Eric M. Aldrich & Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & A. Ronald Gallant & Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez, 2010. "Tapping the Supercomputer Under Your Desk: Solving Dynamic Equilibrium Models with Graphics Processors," NBER Working Papers 15909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric M. Aldrich & Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Ronald Gallant & Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez, 2010. "Tapping the Supercomputer Under Your Desk: Solving Dynamic Equilibrium Models with Graphics Processors," PIER Working Paper Archive 10-014, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jaroslav Borovicka, 2009. "Heterogeneous beliefs under recursive preferences," 2009 Meeting Papers 892, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2000.
"Asset Trading Volume with Dynamically Complete Markets and Heterogeneous Agents,"
1294, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2003. "Asset Trading Volume with Dynamically Complete Markets and Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2203-2218, October.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2003.
"Consensus consumer and intertemporal asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs,"
- Clotilde Napp & Elyès Jouini, 2007. "Consensus consumer and intertemporal asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs," Post-Print halshs-00152348, HAL.
- Jouini, Elyès & Napp, Clotilde, 2007. "Consensus Consumer and Intertemporal Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/78, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Michael Gallmeyer & Burton Hollifield, 2008. "An Examination of Heterogeneous Beliefs with a Short-Sale Constraint in a Dynamic Economy," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 323-364.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Trading Volume in General Equilibrium with Complete Markets
by Christian Zimmermann in NEP-DGE blog on 2012-10-23 03:50:43
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.