Does oil price matter for Indian stock markets?
AbstractThis paper investigates the long run relationship between oil prices and stock prices for India over the period April 2000- June 2011. We employ Auto Regressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) Model that takes into consideration the long run relationship. The results obtained suggest that volatility of stock prices in India have a significant impact on the volatility of oil prices. But a change in the oil prices does not have impact on stock prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35334.
Date of creation: 02 Nov 2011
Date of revision: 01 Dec 2011
Oil Prices; Stock prices; ARDL cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-12-19 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-12-19 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James D. Hamilton, 2000.
"What is an Oil Shock?,"
NBER Working Papers
7755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Manera & Alessandro Cologni, 2005.
"Oil Prices, Inflation and Interest Rates in a Structural Cointegrated VAR Model for the G-7 Countries,"
Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei
2005.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cologni, Alessandro & Manera, Matteo, 2008. "Oil prices, inflation and interest rates in a structural cointegrated VAR model for the G-7 countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 856-888, May.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam, 1996. " Oil and the Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 463-91, June.
- Chittedi, Krishna Reddy, 2009. "Global Stock Markets Development and Integration: with Special Reference to BRIC Countries," MPRA Paper 18602, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Sep 2009.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2005.
"Exogenous Oil Supply Shocks: How Big Are They and How Much do they Matter for the US Economy?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lutz Kilian, 2008. "Exogenous Oil Supply Shocks: How Big Are They and How Much Do They Matter for the U.S. Economy?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 216-240, May.
- J. Isaac Miller & Ronald Ratti, 2008.
"Crude Oil and Stock Markets: Stability, Instability, and Bubbles,"
Working Papers, Department of Economics, University of Missouri
0810, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 20 Jan 2009.
- Miller, J. Isaac & Ratti, Ronald A., 2009. "Crude oil and stock markets: Stability, instability, and bubbles," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 559-568, July.
- Papapetrou, Evangelia, 2001. "Oil price shocks, stock market, economic activity and employment in Greece," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 511-532, September.
- Zhang, Dayong, 2008. "Oil shock and economic growth in Japan: A nonlinear approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2374-2390, September.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Eisa Aleisa, 2004. "Dynamic Relationships among GCC Stock Markets and Nymex Oil Futures," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 250-269, 04.
- Anna Créti & Zied Ftiti & Khaleb Guesmi, 2013.
"Oil price impact on financial markets: co-spectral analysis for exporting versus importing countries,"
Working Papers, HAL
- Anna Creti & Zied Ftiti & Khaled Guesmi, 2013. "Oil price impact on financial markets: co-spectral analysis for exporting versus importing countries," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-11, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Creti, Anna & Ftiti, Zied & Guesmi, Khaled, 2014.
"Oil price and financial markets: Multivariate dynamic frequency analysis,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University
123456789/13716, Paris Dauphine University.
- Creti, Anna & Ftiti, Zied & Guesmi, Khaled, 2014. "Oil price and financial markets: Multivariate dynamic frequency analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 245-258.
- Anna Creti & Zied Ftiti & Khaled Guesmi, 2014. "Oil Price and Financial Markets: Multivariate Dynamic Frequency Analysis," Working Papers, Department of Research, Ipag Business School 2014-121, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.