Oil price impact on financial markets: co-spectral analysis for exporting versus importing countries
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to study the degree of interdependence between oil price and stock market index into two groups of countries: oil-importer countries (US, Italy, Germany, Netherland and France) and exporter ones (Emirate Arab Units, Kuwait Saudi Arabia and Venezuela). The dataset consists of monthly data from 03/09/2000 to 03/12/2010. We propose a new empirical methodology setting a time-varying dynamic correlation measure between the stock market index and the oil price series. We use the frequency approach proposed by Priestley and Tong (1973), and developed by Ftiti (2010) that is the evolutionary co-spectral analysis. This method allows us to distinguish between short-run and long-run dependence. We find that interdependence between oil price and stock markets is higher in the exporters countries than in the importers one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00822070.
Date of creation: 14 May 2013
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00822070
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
oil prices; stock markets; evolutionary co-spectraL analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Anna Creti & Zied Ftiti & Khaled Guesmi, 2013. "Oil price impact on financial markets: co-spectral analysis for exporting versus importing countries," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-11, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2010.
"Oil Prices, Stock Markets and Portfolio Investment: Evidence from Sector Analysis in Europe over the Last Decade,"
- Hedi Arouri, Mohamed El & Khuong Nguyen, Duc, 2010. "Oil prices, stock markets and portfolio investment: Evidence from sector analysis in Europe over the last decade," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4528-4539, August.
- Filis, George & Degiannakis, Stavros & Floros, Christos, 2011. "Dynamic correlation between stock market and oil prices: The case of oil-importing and oil-exporting countries," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 152-164, June.
- J. Isaac Miller & Ronald Ratti, 2008.
"Crude Oil and Stock Markets: Stability, Instability, and Bubbles,"
0810, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 20 Jan 2009.
- Miller, J. Isaac & Ratti, Ronald A., 2009. "Crude oil and stock markets: Stability, instability, and bubbles," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 559-568, July.
- Yang, C. W. & Hwang, M. J. & Huang, B. N., 2002. "An analysis of factors affecting price volatility of the US oil market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 107-119, March.
- Masih, Rumi & Peters, Sanjay & De Mello, Lurion, 2011. "Oil price volatility and stock price fluctuations in an emerging market: Evidence from South Korea," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 975-986, September.
- Lutz Kilian & Cheolbeom Park, 2009.
"The Impact Of Oil Price Shocks On The U.S. Stock Market,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1267-1287, November.
- Kilian, Lutz & Park, Cheolbeom, 2007. "The Impact of Oil Price Shocks on the U.S. Stock Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6166, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Choi, Kyongwook & Hammoudeh, Shawkat, 2010. "Volatility behavior of oil, industrial commodity and stock markets in a regime-switching environment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4388-4399, August.
- Donald W. Jones, Paul N. Leiby and Inja K. Paik, 2004. "Oil Price Shocks and the Macroeconomy: What Has Been Learned Since 1996," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-32.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012.
"On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2012-42, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Creti, Anna & Joëts, Marc & Mignon, Valérie, 2013. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 16-28.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," Working Papers 2012-20, CEPII research center.
- Narayan, Seema & Narayan, Paresh Kumar, 2012. "Do US macroeconomic conditions affect Asian stock markets?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 669-679.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Eisa Aleisa, 2004. "Dynamic Relationships among GCC Stock Markets and Nymex Oil Futures," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 250-269, 04.
- Nicholas Apergis & Stephen M. Miller, 2008.
"Do Structural Oil-Market Shocks Affect Stock Prices?,"
2008-51, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Miller, Stephen M., 2009. "Do structural oil-market shocks affect stock prices?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 569-575, July.
- Nicholas Apergis & Stephen M. Miller, 2009. "Do Structural Oil-Market Shocks Affect Stock Prices?," Working Papers 0917, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Mazin A. M. Al Janabi & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2010. "Modeling Time-Varying Volatility and Expected Returns: Evidence from the GCC and MENA Regions," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(5), pages 39-47, September.
- Bouchouicha, Ranoua & Ftiti, Zied, 2012. "Real estate markets and the macroeconomy: A dynamic coherence framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1820-1829.
- Chao Wei, 2003. "Energy, the Stock Market, and the Putty-Clay Investment Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 311-323, March.
- Syed A. Basher & Perry Sadorsky, 2004.
"Day-of-the-week effects in emerging stock markets,"
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Christophe Rault, 2012. "Oil Prices And Stock Markets In Gcc Countries: Empirical Evidence From Panel Analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 242-253, 07.
- Malik, Farooq & Ewing, Bradley T., 2009. "Volatility transmission between oil prices and equity sector returns," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 95-100, June.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland, 2009.
"Oil Price Shocks And Stock Market Booms In An Oil Exporting Country,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(2), pages 232-254, 05.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland, 2008. "Oil Price Shocks and Stock Market Booms in an Oil Exporting Country," Working Paper 2008/16, Norges Bank.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Dibooglu, Sel & Aleisa, Eisa, 2004. "Relationships among U.S. oil prices and oil industry equity indices," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 427-453.
- Park, Jungwook & Ratti, Ronald A., 2008. "Oil price shocks and stock markets in the U.S. and 13 European countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2587-2608, September.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam, 1996. " Oil and the Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 463-91, June.
- Yoon, Kyung Hwan & Ratti, Ronald A., 2011. "Energy price uncertainty, energy intensity and firm investment," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 67-78, January.
- John Elder & Apostolos Serletis, 2010.
"Oil Price Uncertainty,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(6), pages 1137-1159, 09.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate structural VAR-GARCH-M model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00052, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chittedi, Krishnareddy, 2011. "Does oil price matter for Indian stock markets?," MPRA Paper 35334, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Dec 2011.
- Zied Ftiti, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Performance of the Inflation Targeting Policy: An Approach Based on the Evolutionary Co-spectral Analysis," Working Papers 0918, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Hamilton, James D, 1983. "Oil and the Macroeconomy since World War II," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 228-48, April.
- Essahbi Essaadi & Zied Ftiti, 2008.
"The inflation Targeting effect on the inflation series: ANew Analysis Approach of evolutionary spectral analysis,"
- Essahbi Essaadi & Zied Ftiti, 2008. "The inflation Targeting effect on the inflation series: A New Analysis Approach of evolutionary spectral analysis," Working Papers 0832, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.