Instability of the Velocity of Money: A New Approach Based on the Evolutionary Spectrum
AbstractMoney demand instability has been the subject of considerable attention in the recent literature. This paper examines the stability of velocity series for the United States and for five European countries (France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom). A distribution-free test due to Subba Rao (1981) and based on the concept of the evolutionary spectrum is used. The test does not require the assumption that distributions are Gaussian and is able to decompose (by frequency) the sources of instability. The technique reveals structural breaks of long-term significance for only broad money velocity in the United States and narrow money velocity in the United Kingdom.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 735.
Date of creation: Nov 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zied Ftiti & Aviral Tiwari & Ibrahim Fatnassi, 2014. "Oil price and macroeconomy in India - An evolutionary cospectral coherence approach," Working Papers 2014-068, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Essahbi Essaadi & Zied Ftiti, 2008.
"The inflation Targeting effect on the inflation series: ANew Analysis Approach of evolutionary spectral analysis,"
- Essahbi Essaadi & Zied Ftiti, 2008. "The inflation Targeting effect on the inflation series: A New Analysis Approach of evolutionary spectral analysis," Working Papers 0832, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Zied Ftiti & Walid Hichri, 2014.
"The Price Stability Under Inflation Targeting Regime : An Analysis With a New Intermediate Approach,"
2014-099, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Ftiti, Zied & Hichri, Walid, 2014. "The price stability under inflation targeting regime: An analysis with a new intermediate approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 23-32.
- Mohamed Safouane Ben Aissa & Mohamed Boutahar & Jamel Jouini, 2004. "Bai and Perron's and spectral density methods for structural change detection in the US inflation process," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 109-115.
- Bouchouicha, Ranoua & Ftiti, Zied, 2012. "Real estate markets and the macroeconomy: A dynamic coherence framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1820-1829.
- Dilip M. Nachane, 2011. "Selected Problems in the Analysis of Nonstationary & Nonlinear Time Series," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 9(1), pages 1-17.
- Ahamada, Ibrahim, 2002. "Tests for covariance stationarity and white noise, with an application to Euro/US dollar exchange rate: An approach based on the evolutionary spectral density," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 177-186, October.
- Ibrahim Ahamada & Jamel Jouini & Mohamed Boutahar, 2004. "Detecting multiple breaks in time series covariance structure: a non-parametric approach based on the evolutionary spectral density," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1095-1101.
- Essahbi Essaadi & Mohamed Boutahar, 2010.
"A Measure of Variability in Comovement for Economic Variables: a Time-Varying Coherence Function Approach,"
AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1054-1070.
- Essahbi Essaadi & Mohamed Boutahar, 2008. "A Measure of Variability in Comovement for Economic Variables : a Time-Varying Coherence Function Approach," Post-Print halshs-00333582, HAL.
- Essahbi Essaadi & Mohamed Boutahar, 2008. "A Measure of Variability in Comovement for Economic Variables : a Time-Varying Coherence Function Approach," Post-Print halshs-00550460, HAL.
- Zied Ftiti & Duc Khuong Nguyen & Khaled Guesmi & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "Modelling Inflation Shifts and Persistence in Tunisia: Perspective from an Evolutionary spectral approach," Working Papers 2014-124, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Zied Ftiti & Aviral Tiwari & AmÃ©l BelanÃ¨s, 2014. "Tests of Financial Market Contagion- Evolutionary Cospectral Analysis V.S. Wavelet Analysis," Working Papers 2014-062, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Nachane, D.M. & Dubey, Amlendu Kumar, 2011. "The vanishing role of money in the macro-economy: An empirical investigation for India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 859-869, May.
- Ftiti, Zied, 2010. "The macroeconomic performance of the inflation targeting policy: An approach based on the evolutionary co-spectral analysis (extension for the case of a multivariate process)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 468-476, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.