Day-of-the-week effects in emerging stock markets
AbstractThis paper uses both unconditional and conditional risk analysis to investigate the day-of-the-week effect in 21 emerging stock markets. In addition, risk is allowed to vary across the days of the week. Different models produce different results but overall day-of-the-week effects are present for the Philippines, Pakistan and Taiwan even after adjusting for market risk. Other countries like Argentina, Malaysia, Thailand, and Turkey exhibit day-of-the-week effects in only some of the models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0407017.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 21 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 14
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Emerging markets; market risk;
Other versions of this item:
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-07-26 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-07-26 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2004-07-26 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Brooks & Gita Persand, 2001. "Seasonality in Southeast Asian stock markets: some new evidence on day-of-the-week effects," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 155-158.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- Flannery, Mark J & Protopapadakis, Aris A, 1988.
" From T-Bills to Common Stocks: Investigating the Generality of Intra-Week Return Seasonality,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 431-50, June.
- Mark J. Flannery & Aris A. Protopapadakis, 1987. "From t-bills to common stocks: investigating the generality of intra- week return seasonality," Working Papers 87-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. " The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 433-54, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-trading Periods: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1603-14, December.
- Fletcher, Jonathan, 2000. "On the conditional relationship between beta and return in international stock returns," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 235-245.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Anwar, Yunita & Mulyadi, Martin Surya, 2009. "The day of the week effects in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia stock market," MPRA Paper 16873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anna Créti & Zied Ftiti & Khaleb Guesmi, 2013.
"Oil price impact on financial markets: co-spectral analysis for exporting versus importing countries,"
- Anna Creti & Zied Ftiti & Khaled Guesmi, 2013. "Oil price impact on financial markets: co-spectral analysis for exporting versus importing countries," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-11, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Bley, Jorg & Saad, Mohsen, 2010. "Cross-cultural differences in seasonality," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 306-312, September.
- Doyle, John R. & Chen, Catherine Huirong, 2009. "The wandering weekday effect in major stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1388-1399, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:5:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Keef, Stephen P. & Khaled, Mohammed & Zhu, Hui, 2009. "The dynamics of the Monday effect in international stock indices," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 125-133, June.
- James Philpot & Craig A. Peterson, 2011. "A brief history and recent developments in day-of-the-week effect literature," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(9), pages 808-816, September.
- Mobarek, Asma & Fiorante, Angelo, 2014. "The prospects of BRIC countries: Testing weak-form market efficiency," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 217-232.
- Rayenda Brahmana & Chee-Wooi Hooy & Zamri Ahmad, 2012. "Weather, investor irrationality and day-of-the-week anomaly: case of Indonesia," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 129-146, July.
- Stephen P. Keef & Hui Zhu, 2009. "The Monday effect in U.S. cotton prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 427-448.
- Ndako, Umar Bida, 2013. "The Day of the Week effect on stock market returns and volatility: Evidence from Nigeria and South Africa," MPRA Paper 48076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anna Creti & Zied Ftiti & Khaled Guesmi, 2014. "Oil Price and Financial Markets: Multivariate Dynamic Frequency Analysis," Working Papers 2014-121, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Goodfellow, Christiane & Bialkowski, Jedrzej, 2010. "Individual investors surpass their reputation: Trading behaviour on the Polish futures market," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 480-492, December.
- Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Syed Khalid Wafa, Syed Azizi Wafa, 2007.
"Day-of-the-week effects in selected East Asian stock markets,"
7299, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ricky Chee-Jiun Chia & Syed Azizi Wafa Syed Khalid Wafa, 2008. "Day-of-the-week effects in Selected East Asian stock markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(5), pages 1-8.
- Ruchika Gahlot & Saroj Kumar Datta, 2012. "Impact of future trading on stock market: a study of BRIC countries," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 118-132, June.
- Levy, Tamir & Yagil, Joseph, 2012. "The week-of-the-year effect: Evidence from around the globe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1963-1974.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.