SMEs; Virtual research and development (R&D) teams and new product development: A literature review
AbstractSmall and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are indeed the engines of global economic growth. Their continued growth is a major subject for the economy and employment of any country. Towards that end, virtual research and development (R&D) could be a viable option to sustain and ease the operations of SMEs. However, literature shows there has not been a great deal of research into the diverse characteristic of virtual R&D teams in SMEs. This article provides a comprehensive literature review on different aspects of virtual R&D teams collected from the reputed publications. The purpose of the literature review is to provide an outline on the structure and dynamics of R&D collaboration in SMEs. Specifying the rationale and relevance of virtual teams, the relationship between virtual R&D team for SMEs and new product development (NPD) has been examined. It concludes with identifying the gaps and feebleness in the existing literature and calls for future research in this area. It is argued to form of virtual R&D team deserves consideration at top level management for venturing into the new product development within SMEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26989.
Date of creation: 20 May 2010
Date of revision: 10 Jun 2010
Publication status: Published in International Journal of the Physical Sciences 7.5(2010): pp. 916-930
Virtual teams; small and medium enterprises; new product development; R&D;
Other versions of this item:
- Nader Ale Ebrahim & Shamsuddin Ahmed & Zahari Taha, 2010. "SMEs; Virtual research and development (R&D) teams and new product development: A literature review," Post-Print hal-00723647, HAL.
- Nader Ale Ebrahim & Shamsuddin Ahmed & Zahari Taha, 2010. "SMEs; Virtual Research and Development (R&D) Teams and New Product Development: A Literature Review," Post-Print hal-00593362, HAL.
- M5 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics
- L17 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Open Source Products and Markets
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executives; Executive Compensation
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
- M54 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Labor Management
- P42 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Productive Enterprises; Factor and Product Markets; Prices
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-12-04 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2010-12-04 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2010-12-04 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Davis & Elaine Sun, 2006. "Business Development Capabilities in Information Technology SMEs in a Regional Economy: An Exploratory Study," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 145-161, 01.
- Linda Low, 2006. "A putative East Asian business model," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(7), pages 512-528, July.
- Francesco Perrini & Angeloantonio Russo & Antonio Tencati, 2007. "CSR Strategies of SMEs and Large Firms. Evidence from Italy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 285-300, September.
- Tiwari, Rajnish & Buse, Stephan, 2007. "Barriers to innovation in SMEs: Can the internationalization of R&D mitigate their effects?," Working Papers 50, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- Laforet, Sylvie, 2008. "Size, strategic, and market orientation affects on innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 753-764, July.
- Manju K. Ahuja & Dennis F. Galletta & Kathleen M. Carley, 2003. "Individual Centrality and Performance in Virtual R& D Groups: An Empirical Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Alan MacCormack & Roberto Verganti & Marco Iansiti, 2001. "Developing Products on "Internet Time": The Anatomy of a Flexible Development Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 133-150, January.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Preston, Lee, 1997. " Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Technology, and Globalization: Introduction to a Special Issue on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Global Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-6, February.
- Bougrain, Frederic & Haudeville, Bernard, 2002. "Innovation, collaboration and SMEs internal research capacities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 735-747, July.
- Criscuolo, Paola, 2005. "On the road again: Researcher mobility inside the R&D network," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1350-1365, November.
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver, 2002. "Market versus technology drive in R&D internationalization: four different patterns of managing research and development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 569-588, May.
- Van Ryssen, Stefaan & Godar, Susan Hayes, 2000. "Going international without going international: multinational virtual teams," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 49-60.
- Timo Pihkala & Elina Varamaki & Jukka Vesalainen, 1999. "Virtual organization and the SMEs: a review and model development," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 335-349, October.
- Jansson, Hans & Sandberg, Susanne, 2008. "Internationalization of small and medium sized enterprises in the Baltic Sea Region," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 65-77, March.
- Mezgar, Istvan & Kovacs, Gyorgy L. & Paganelli, Paolo, 2000. "Co-operative production planning for small- and medium-sized enterprises," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 37-48, March.
- Giuseppe Calabrese & Secondo Rolfo, 2001. "The Role Of The Industrial Policy In Italy," CERIS Working Paper 200106, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Pawar, Kulwant S. & Sharifi, Sudi, 1997. "Physical or virtual team collocation: Does it matter?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 283-290, October.
- Garbade, Philipp J.P. & Omta, S.W.F. (Onno) & Fortuin, Frances T.J.M., 2013. "Exploring the characteristics of innovation alliances of Dutch Biotechnology SMEs and their policy implications," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Ale Ebrahim, Nader & Ahmed, Shamsuddin & Abdul Rashid, Salwa Hanim & Taha, Zahari, 2010.
"The Effectiveness of Virtual R&D Teams in SMEs: Experiences of Malaysian SMEs,"
27368, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2010.
- Ale Ebrahim, Nader & Abdul Rashid, Salwa Hanim & Ahmed, Shamsuddin & Taha, Zahari, 2011. "The effectiveness of virtual R&D Teams in SMEs: experiences of Malaysian SMEs," MPRA Paper 31554, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 May 2011.
- Ale Ebrahim, Nader & Ahmed, Shamsuddin & Abdul Rashid, Salwa Hanim & Taha, Zahari, 2010. "Virtual Collaborative R&D Teams in Malaysia Manufacturing SMEs," MPRA Paper 29177, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Dec 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.