Size, strategic, and market orientation affects on innovation
AbstractBased on a random sample of 500 South Yorkshire non-hi-tech manufacturing small, medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) the quantitative findings support the hypothesis that size, strategic, and market orientation associate with innovation. The results show that prospectors are medium-sized companies and small companies, defenders. Prospectors are more innovative and market-oriented than defenders. The findings reveal that to succeed in an intense competitive environment, non-hi-tech manufacturing SMEs have to be proactive toward market opportunities, receptive to innovation and take the lead in new product innovation. However, their weaknesses include a lack of flexibility, a partial open culture and an organizational structure that impedes sustained innovation. This study addresses a gap in the literature, by linking innovation to the strategic orientation of the firm instead of examining firms' specific characteristics or the effects of external environment and structural factors. The research focuses on non-hi-tech manufacturing SMEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 61 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woodside, Arch G. & Sullivan, Daniel P. & TrappeyIII, Randolph J., 1999. "Assessing Relationships among Strategic Types, Distinctive Marketing Competencies, and Organizational Performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 135-146, June.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1975. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-37, March.
- Ramachandran, K. & Ramnarayan, S., 1993. "Entrepreneurial orientation and networking: Some Indian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 513-524, November.
- Bertschek, Irene & Entorf, Horst, 1996. "On Nonparametric Estimation of the Schumpeterian Link between Innovation and Firm Size: Evidence from Belgium, France, and Germany," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 401-26.
- de Jong, Jeroen P.J. & Marsili, Orietta, 2006. "The fruit flies of innovations: A taxonomy of innovative small firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 213-229, March.
- Ghosh, B. C. & Liang, Tan Wee & Meng, Tan Teck & Chan, Ben, 2001. "The key success factors, distinctive capabilities, and strategic thrusts of top SMEs in Singapore," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 209-221, March.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-74, November.
- Charles Jabani Mambula & Frank E. Sawyer, 2004. "Acts of entrepreneurial creativity for business growth and survival in a constrained economy: Case study of a small manufacturing firm (SMF)," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(1/2), pages 30-55, January.
- Lipparini, Andrea & Sobrero, Maurizio, 1994. "The glue and the pieces: Entrepreneurship and innovation in small-firm networks," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 125-140, March.
- E. Cefis & O. Marsili, 2003. "Survivor: The Role of Innovation in Firms' Survival," Working Papers 03-18, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, 1996. "Market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 93-103, February.
- Nader Ale Ebrahim & Shamsuddin Ahmed & Zahari Taha, 2010.
"SMEs; Virtual research and development (R&D) teams and new product development: A literature review,"
- Ale Ebrahim, Nader & Ahmed, Shamsuddin & Taha, Zahari, 2010. "SMEs; Virtual research and development (R&D) teams and new product development: A literature review," MPRA Paper 26989, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jun 2010.
- Nader Ale Ebrahim & Shamsuddin Ahmed & Zahari Taha, 2010. "SMEs; Virtual Research and Development (R&D) Teams and New Product Development: A Literature Review," Post-Print hal-00593362, HAL.
- Semih Akçomak & Erdal Akdeve & Derya Findik, 2013.
"How do ICT firms in Turkey manage innovation? Diversity in expertise versus diversity in markets,"
STPS Working Papers
1301, STPS - Science and Technology Policy Studies Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2013.
- Akçomakn Semih & Akdeve, Erdal & Findik, Derya, 2013. "How do ICT firms in Turkey manage innovation? Diversity in expertise versus diversity in markets," MERIT Working Papers 024, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Huarng, Kun-Huang & Ribeiro-Soriano, Domingo Enrique, 2014. "Developmental management: Theories, methods, and applications in entrepreneurship, innovation, and sensemaking," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 657-662.
- Athanasios Papadimitriou & Antonios Kargas, 2012. "The relationship between organizational culture and market orientation in the Greek telecommunication companies," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 1-23, April.
- Meyer, John & Subramaniam, Mohan, 2014. "Appropriating innovation's technical value: Examining the influence of exploration," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2860-2866.
- Soriano, Domingo Ribeiro & Huarng, Kun-Huang, 2013. "Innovation and entrepreneurship in knowledge industries," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 1964-1969.
- Jiménez-Jiménez, Daniel & Sanz-Valle, Raquel, 2011. "Innovation, organizational learning, and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 408-417, April.
- Dibrell, Clay & Craig, Justin B. & Hansen, Eric N., 2011. "How managerial attitudes toward the natural environment affect market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 401-407, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.