Politique Commerciale, Qualité et Environnement: une Application aux Négociations Commerciales entre l’Union Européenne et le Mercosur
AbstractThe European Union and Mercosur have started negotiations in 1995 with the signature of the “EU-Mercosur Interregional Framework Co-operation Agreement”. In spite of sixteen round of negotiations and a propitious textbook for trade relationships (complementary intra and inter-sectoral, historical links, common culture, languages and tastes), they have not managed to achieve a successful bilateral trade agreement, and only political and co-operation chapters have experienced major progresses. Many reasons, such as the interdependence between the bilateral and multilateral negotiations or their conflict-laden issues in agricultural liberalization, may explain why these negotiations have been stalled. Each chapter of this dissertation addresses one important question linked to the EUMercosur negotiations. The first chapter analyzes the consequences of a EU-Mercosur agreement under different baselines (Venezuela accession to Mercosur and plausible outcomes of the Doha Round) using the MIRAGE CGE dynamic model. The second chapter presents a methodological contribution for tariff-rate quotas (TRQs) modeling in a CGE framework and highlights the possible biases linked to the lack of TRQ mechanisms. Chapter 3 addresses the question of the typical Alchian-Allen effect by introducing complex policy instruments (TRQs, composite tariffs) used in European agricultural protection. The last chapter analyze the rationale for large importing and exporting countries (environmental and welfare impacts) to negotiate a selective liberalization for Environmentally Preferable Products (EPPs), which could represent a rewarding niche market for exporters in the Mercosur.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12640.
Date of creation: 24 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
European Union; Mercosur; Preferential Trade Agreement; Tariff-rate quotas; Quality upgrading; Environmentally Preferable Products;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00096826 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matthieu Crozet & Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 2004.
"Trade Performances, Product Quality Perceptions, and the Estimation of Trade Price Elasticities,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 108-129, 02.
- Hertel, Thomas & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2003.
"How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?,"
GTAP Working Papers
1324, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas & Hummels, David & Ivanic, Maros & Keeney, Roman, 2007. "How confident can we be of CGE-based assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 611-635, July.
- Thomas Hertel & David Hummels & Maros Ivanic & Roman Keeney, 2004. "How Confident Can We Be in CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?," NBER Working Papers 10477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krutilla, Kerry, 1991. "Environmental regulation in an open economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 127-142, March.
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Tangermann, Stefan, 2000. "Tariff Rate Quotas In The Eu," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- James E. Anderson, 1988. "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511789, December.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Scott, Maurice & Lal, Deepak (ed.), 1990. "Public Policy and Economic Development: Essays in Honour of Ian Little," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198285823.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010.
"BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version,"
2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version," MPRA Paper 32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J-C Bureau & L Fulponi & L Salvatici, 2000.
"Comparing EU and US trade liberalisation under the Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 259-280, September.
- Bureau & Fulponi & Salvatici, 2000. "Comparing EU and US trade liberalisation under the Uruguay Round agreement on agriculture," Working Papers 156185, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Jean, Sebastien & Laborde, David & Martin, William J., 2005. "Sensitive Products: Selection and Implications for Agricultural Trade Negotiations," Working Papers 18860, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Jana Hranaiova & Harry de Gorter & James Falk, 2006. "The Economics of Administering Import Quotas with Licenses-on-Demand in Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 338-350.
- Ramos, Maria Priscila & Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "Shipping the good beef out: EU trade liberalization to Mercosur exports," Working Papers 7215, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," NBER Working Papers 9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, W Jill & Pearson, K R, 1996.
"Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 83-127, May.
- W. Jill Harrison & K.R. Pearson, 1994. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-64, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Elbehri, Aziz & Ken Pearson, 2000. "Implementing Bilateral Tariff Rate Quotas in GTAP using GEMPACK," GTAP Technical Papers 475, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1984. "Voluntary Export Restraint in U.S. Autos, 1980-81: Quality, Employment, and Welfare Effects," NBER Chapters, in: The Structure and Evolution of Recent U.S. Trade Policy, pages 35-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcelo Olarreaga & Çaglar Özden, 2005. "AGOA and Apparel: Who Captures the Tariff Rent in the Presence of Preferential Market Access?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 63-77, 01.
- LeClair, Mark S. & Franceschi, Dina, 2006. "Externalities in international trade: The case for differential tariffs," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 462-472, June.
- Randi Boorstein & Robert C. Feenstra, 1987. "Quality Upgrading and its Welfare Cost in U.S. Steel Imports, 1969-74," NBER Working Papers 2452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Soloaga, Isidro, 2000. "The treatment of non-essential inputs in a Cobb-Douglas technology : an application to Mexican rural household-level data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2499, The World Bank.
- Nathalie Lavoie, 2005. "Price Discrimination in the Context of Vertical Differentiation: An Application to Canadian Wheat Exports," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 835-854.
- James E. Anderson, 1991. "The Coefficient of Trade Utilization: The Cheese Case," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Commercial Policy, pages 221-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.