Price Discrimination in the Context of Vertical Differentiation: An Application to Canadian Wheat Exports
AbstractThe ability of the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) to price discriminate in wheat exports is examined. The conceptual model shows that the CWB's ability to exploit cost differences in pricing depends on the extent of differentiation between Canadian and U.S. wheat. This model is implemented using monthly confidential price data for exports to four markets from 1982 to 1994. The empirical results support the conclusions that (1) the CWB has market power emerging from product differentiation, (2) the CWB price discriminates across export markets, and (3) Alchian—Allen effects are important in pricing in markets valuing quality such as Japan and the United Kingdom. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 87 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tamini, Lota D., 2012. "Optimal quality choice under uncertainty on market development," MPRA Paper 40845, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luckstead, Jeff & Devadoss, Stephen & Mittelhammer, Ron C., 2013. "Strategic Trade Policies in the U.S. Orange Juice Market: Competition between Florida and São Paulo," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149668, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ramos, Maria Priscila, 2007. "Politique Commerciale, Qualité et Environnement: une Application aux Négociations Commerciales entre l’Union Européenne et le Mercosur," MPRA Paper 12640, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margherita Scoppola, 2007.
"Economies of scale and endogenous market structures in international grain trade,"
04-2007, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Feb 2009.
- Scoppola, Margherita, 2006. "Economies of Scale and Endogenous Market Structures in International Grain Trade," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25322, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pall, Zsombor & Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr & Teuber, Ramona & Glauben, Thomas, 2011. "Wheat trade - does Russia price discriminate across export destinations?," IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? â Prospects for Trade and Growth 15, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Gallardo, Rosa Karina & Lusk, Jayson L. & Holcomb, Rodney B., 2008. "Effect of Publicly Released Quality Information for US Hard Red Winter Wheat on Mexican Millers' Welfare," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6869, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ramos, Maria Priscila & Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "Shipping the good beef out: EU trade liberalization to Mercosur exports," Working Papers 7215, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.