Quality Upgrading and its Welfare Cost in U.S. Steel Imports, 1969-74
AbstractIn this paper we measure the quality change which has occurred in U.S. steel imports during the 1969-74 VRA, using an index number method. Under this approach, the yearly changes in unit values is broken into three components: a quality-adjusted or pure price index; a quality index, which measures changes in the product mix; and a supplier index, which measures changes in the source of supply. We also derive a measure of welfare cost, which equals the inverse of a Paasche price index minus the inverse of an exact price index. Over the 1969-74 VRA period we find quality upgrading of 7.4 percent in U.S. steel imports, which occurs most strongly in the first year. The welfare cost of quality change varies around one percent of import expenditure during 1970-73. This cost is at least as large as the conventional deadweight loss triangle, but smaller than the transfer of quota rents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2452.
Date of creation: Dec 1987
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1988. "Quality Change under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-46, February.
- Diamond, P. A. & McFadden, D. L., 1974. "Some uses of the expenditure function in public finance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 3-21, February.
- Kala Krishna, 1988. "Tariffs vs. Quotas with Endogenous Quality," NBER Working Papers 1535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1979. "The Quality of Imports and the Differential Welfare Effects of Tariffs, Quotas, and Quality Controls as Protective Devices," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 439-49, August.
- Krishna, Kala, 1990.
"Protection and the Product Line: Monopoly and Product Quality,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 87-102, February.
- Kala Krishna, 1985. "Protection and the Product Line: Monopoly and Product Quality," NBER Working Papers 1537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1983. " The Measurement of Waste within the Production Sector of an Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 159-79.
- James E. Anderson, 1988. "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511789, June.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1979. "The Composition of Trade within Import-restricted Product Categories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1105-14, October.
- Analysis, A Welfare & Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1987. "Trade policy and its impact on quality of imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 77-95, August.
- Chinloy, Peter T, 1980. "Sources of Quality Change in Labor Input," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 108-19, March.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Diewert, W. E., 1985. "A dynamic approach to the measurement of waste in an open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 213-240, November.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
- Stefan Lutz, 2005. "The Effect of Quotas on Domestic Product Price and Quality," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 163-173, May.
- Anderson, J.E., 1998.
"The Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy,"
98/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1999. "The Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 6870, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1998. "The Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy," Working Papers 199813, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1998. "The Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0413, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1998. "The Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2044, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1998. "The Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 416, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ramos, Maria Priscila, 2007. "Politique Commerciale, Qualité et Environnement: une Application aux Négociations Commerciales entre l’Union Européenne et le Mercosur," MPRA Paper 12640, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lutz, Stefan H., 2002.
"The Effects of Quotas on Vertical Intra-Industry Trade,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
02-61, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lutz, Stefan, 2002. "The effects of quotas on vertical intra-industry trade," ZEI Working Papers B 24-2002, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1993. "Measuring the Welfare Effect of Quality Change: Theory and Application of Japanese Autos," NBER Working Papers 4401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Cipollina & Luca Salvatici, 2008.
"Measuring Protection: Mission Impossible?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 577-616, 07.
- Pula, Gabor & Daniel Santabarbara, Daniel, 2012.
"Is China climbing up the quality ladder?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
23/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Gabor Pula & Daniel Santabárbara, 2012. "Is china climbing up the quality ladder?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1209, Banco de Espa�a.
- Pula, Gabor & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2011. "Is China climbing up the quality ladder? Estimating cross country differences in product quality using Eurostat's COMEXT trade database," Working Paper Series 1310, European Central Bank.
- S Lutz, 2005. "Can a Tariff on Foreign Competition Harm the Domestic Industry?," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0510, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:44:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramos, Maria Priscila & Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "Shipping the good beef out: EU trade liberalization to Mercosur exports," Working Papers 7215, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.