Tariff-rate quotas: failed market access instruments?
AbstractTariff-rate quotas (TRQs) were one of the policy instruments enshrined in the Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture, intended to improve market access for politically sensitive commodities and sometimes to continue managed trade regimes. This paper examines country and commodity coverage, tariffs bound and applied, administrative methods adopted, quota fill rates and import trends under TRQs. Experience with implementation shows there are problems with underfill and limitations on imports as a result of administrative methods. TRQs have effectively sanctioned import quotas, accompanied by rents and the need to allocate quota rights. Both theory and practice lead to our recommendation for eventual elimination of this instrument through lowering most favoured nation tariffs. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economies.
Volume (Year): 29 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramos, Maria Priscila & Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "Shipping the good beef out: EU trade liberalization to Mercosur exports," Working Papers 7215, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Garcia Alvarez-Coque, Jose-Maria & Martinez-Gomez, Victor & Villanueva, Miquel, 2007. "Trade Model to Assess Euro-Med Agreements. An Application to the Fresh Tomato Market," Working Papers 7281, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Decreux, Yvan & Ramos, Maria Priscila, 2007. "How does tariff-rate quota modelling affect CGE results? An application for MIRAGE," Working Papers 7206, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Gouel, Christophe & Mitaritonna, Cristina & Ramos, Maria Priscila, 2011.
"Sensitive products in the Doha negotiations: The case of European and Japanese market access,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2395-2403.
- Christophe Gouel & Cristina Mitaritonna & Maria Priscila Ramos, 2010. "The Art of Exceptions: Sensitive Products in the Doha Negotiations," Working Papers 2010-20, CEPII research center.
- Grethe, Harald & Nolte, Stephan & Tangermann, Stefan, 2005. "Entwicklung und Zukunft der EU â€“ AgrarhandelsprÃ¤ferenzen fÃ¼r die sÃ¼dlichen und Ã¶stlichen Mittelmeeranrainerstaaten," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 54(7).
- Joerin, Robert, 2014. "Improving Market Access: The Role Of Auctions In Converting Tariff-Rate Quotas Into Single Tariffs," Acta Oeconomica et Informatica, Faculty of Economics and Management, Slovak Agricultural University in Nitra (FEM SPU) & Association of Agricultural Economists in Slovakia (APES), vol. 17(1).
- Calfat, Germán & Flôres Junior, Renato Galvão, 2004.
"The EU-Mercosul free trade agreement: Quantifying mutual gains,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
575, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Germán Calfat & Renato G. Fl�Res, 2006. "The EU-Mercosol Free Trade Agreement: Quantifying Mutual Gains," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 921-945, December.
- Binfield, Julian C.R. & Donnellan, Trevor & Hanrahan, Kevin F. & Westhoff, Patrick C., 2009. "WTO Doha Round: Impact of an Agreement on Agriculture and the Importance of Sensitive Products," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 50936, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Khorana, Sangeeta, 2008. "The Developmental Relevance of Tariff Rate Quotas as a Market Access Instrument: An Analysis of Swiss Agricultural Imports," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 9(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.