Correlograms for non-stationary autoregressions
AbstractAnalysis of economic time series often involves correlograms and partial correlograms as graphical descriptions of temporal dependence. Two methods are available for computing these statistics: one based on autocorrelations and the other on scaled autocovariances. For stationary time series the resulting plots are nearly identical. When it comes to economic time series that usually exhibit non-stationary features these methods can lead to very different results. This has two consequences: (i) incorrect inferences can be drawn when confusing these concepts; (ii) a better discrimination between stationary and non-stationarity appears when using autocorrelations rather than autocovariances which are commonly used in econometric software.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford in its series Economics Papers with number 2003-W11.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 02 Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/economics/
correlogram; covariogram; non-stationary;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2003-04-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-04-09 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-RMG-2003-04-09 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Caggiano, Giovanni & Talmain, Gabriel, 2013.
"Nelson–Plosser revisited: The ACF approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 22-34.
- Karim Abadir & Giovanni Caggiano & Gabriel Talmain, 2005. "Nelson-Plosser Revisited: the ACF Approach," Working Papers 2005_7, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Karim M. Abadir & Gabriel Talmain & Giovanni Caggiano, 2008. "Nelson-Plosser revisited: the ACF approach," Working Paper Series 18-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
- Nielsen, Bent, 2010.
"Analysis Of Coexplosive Processes,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 882-915, June.
- B. Nielsen, 2009. "Test for cointegration rank in general vector autoregressions," Economics Papers 2009-W10, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos & Lobato, Ignacio N., 2009. "An automatic Portmanteau test for serial correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 140-149, August.
- E ric E ngler & B ent N ielsen, 2009.
"The empirical process of autoregressive residuals,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 367-381, 07.
- Bent Nielsen & Eric Engler, 2007. "The empirical process of autoregressive residuals," Economics Papers 2007-W01, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Eric Engler & Bent Nielsen, 2007. "The empirical process of autoregressive residuals," Economics Series Working Papers 2007-W01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.