DEVOLUTION OF THE FISHER EQUATION: Rational Appreciation to Money Illusion
AbstractIn Appreciation and Interest Irving Fisher (1896) derived an equation connecting interest rates in any two standards of value. The original Fisher equation (OFE) was expressed in terms of the expected appreciation of money [percent change in E(1/P)] whereas the ubiquitous conventional Fisher equation (CFE) uses expected goods inflation [percent change in E(P)]. Since Jensen?s inequality implies the non-equivalence of the two equations, the OFE is not subject to standard criticisms of non-rationality leveled against the CFE. The puzzling substitution of inflation for expected money appreciation in Fisher (1930) is resolved by taking into account Fisher's theory of “money illusion.”
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies in its series GRIPS Discussion Papers with number 08-04.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision: Jun 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 7-22-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 106-8677
Web page: http://www.grips.ac.jp/r-center/en/discussion_papers/
More information through EDIRC
Fisher equation; Fisher hypothesis; Fisher effect; money illusion; nominal interest rate; purchasing power of money; value of money.;
Other versions of this item:
- James R. Rhodes, 2006. "DEVOLUTION OF THE FISHER EQUATION: Rational Appreciation to Money Illusion," GRIPS Discussion Papers 07-05, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, revised Sep 2007.
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- B00 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - General - - - History of Economic Thought, Methodology, and Heterodox Approaches
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-12-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2009-12-11 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-12-11 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth & John Geanakoplos, 2003.
"The Harmonic Fisher Equation and the Inflationary Bias of Real Uncertainty,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1424, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Geanakoplos & Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 2004. "The Harmonic Fisher Equation and the Inflationary Bias of Real Uncertainty," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm388, Yale School of Management.
- Hansson, Ingemar & Stuart, Charles, 1986. "The Fisher Hypothesis and International Capital Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(6), pages 1330-37, December.
- Wallace, Myles S & Warner, John T, 1993. "The Fisher Effect and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Tests of Cointegration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 320-24, May.
- Rose, Andrew Kenan, 1988. " Is the Real Interest Rate Stable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1095-1112, December.
- Peter N. Ireland, 1996. "Long-term interest rates and inflation: a Fisherian approach," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 21-36.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2000.
"Does Money Illusion Matter?,"
IEW - Working Papers
045, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Francisco Carneiro & Jose Angelo & C. A. Divino & Carlos Rocha, 2002. "Revisiting the Fisher hypothesis for the cases of Argentina, Brazil and Mexico," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 95-98.
- Crowder, William J & Hoffman, Dennis L, 1996. "The Long-Run Relationship between Nominal Interest Rates and Inflation: The Fisher Equation Revisited," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 102-18, February.
- Blejer, Mario I. & Eden, Benjamin, 1979. "A note on the specification of the fisher equation under inflation uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 249-255.
- William J. Crowder & Mark E. Wohar, 1999. "Are Tax Effects Important in the Long-Run Fisher Relationship? Evidence from the Municipal Bond Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 307-317, 02.
- Pierre-Daniel G. Sarte, 1998. "Fisher's equation and the inflation risk premium in a simple endowment economy," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 53-72.
- Hutchison, Michael M & Keeley, Michael C, 1989. "Estimating the Fisher Effect and the Stochastic Money Growth Process," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(2), pages 219-39, April.
- Martin D.D. Evans & Karen K. Lewis, 1993.
"Do Expected Shifts in Inflation Affect Estimates of the Long-Run Fisher Relation?,"
93-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Evans, Martin D D & Lewis, Karen K, 1995. " Do Expected Shifts in Inflation Affect Estimates of the Long-Run Fisher Relation?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 225-53, March.
- Robert W. Dimand, 1999. "Irving Fisher and the Fisher Relation: Setting the Record Straight," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 744-750, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & John Simon, 1995.
"An Empirical Examination of the Fisher Effect in Australia,"
NBER Working Papers
5080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S & Simon, John, 1995. "An Empirical Examination of the Fisher Effect in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 71(214), pages 217-29, September.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & John Simon, 1994. "An Empirical Examination of the Fisher Effect in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9410, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Robert W. Dimand & John Geanakoplos, 2005. "Celebrating Irving Fisher," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 3-18, 01.
- Robert Mundell, 1963. "Inflation and Real Interest," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 280.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.