A dynamic common-property resource problem with potential regime shifts
AbstractThis paper provides a general framework with which a dynamic problem with potential regime shifts can be analyzed in a strategic environment as well as from social planner’s perspective. A typical situation described by such a game is the joint exploitation of a common-property resource such as lakes, forests, marine fish populations, and at a larger scale the global climate system. By applying the framework to a simple dynamic common-property resource problem, we show that when the risk is endogenous, potential of regime shifts can facilitate precautionary management of common-property resources even in a strategic environment. It is also shown that there exists a resource-depletion trap in which a regime shift, once it happens, triggers a reversal of resource accumulation dynamics, possibly leading to a collapse of resource base.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics Project Center, Kyoto University in its series Discussion papers with number e-12-012.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Web page: http://www.econ.kyoto-u.ac.jp/projectcenter/
More information through EDIRC
Regime shift; Markov-perfect Nash equilibrium; common-property resource; tragedy of the commons;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Zeeuw, A. & Polasky, S. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2010.
"Optimal Management with Potential Regime Shifts,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
10-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Stephen Polasky & Aart de Zeeuw & Florian Wagener, 2010. "Optimal Management with Potential Regime Shifts," CESifo Working Paper Series 3237, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stephen Polasky & Aart de Zeeuw & Florian Wagener, 2010. "Optimal Management with Potential Regime Shifts," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-111/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Benhabib, Jess & Radner, Roy, 1992. "The Joint Exploitation of a Productive Asset: A Game-Theoretic Approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 155-90, April.
- Cropper, M. L., 1976. "Regulating activities with catastrophic environmental effects," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Elena Antoniadou & Leonard J.Mirman, 2007.
"Strategic Exploitation of a Common-Property Resource under Uncertainty,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0703, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Antoniadou, Elena & Koulovatianos, Christos & Mirman, Leonard J., 2013. "Strategic exploitation of a common-property resource under uncertainty," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 28-39.
- Clarke, Harry R. & Reed, William J., 1994. "Consumption/pollution tradeoffs in an environment vulnerable to pollution-related catastrophic collapse," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 991-1010, September.
- Guo, Xin & Miao, Jianjun & Morellec, Erwan, 2005.
"Irreversible investment with regime shifts,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 37-59, May.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Sorger, Gerhard, 1996. "Existence and Properties of Equilibria for a Dynamic Game on Productive Assets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 209-227, October.
- Gerhard Sorger, 2005. "A dynamic common property resource problem with amenity value and extraction costs," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 1(1), pages 3-19.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 1996. "Accounting for global warming risks: Resource management under event uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1289-1305.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graduate School of Economics Project Center).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.