Ein geeigneter wettbewerblicher Rahmen für die deutsche Wasserwirtschaft
AbstractDue to recent European developments the question may no longer be if more competition should be introduced in the German water and sewerage sector. The issue rather is what kind of competition ought to be implemented. There are mainly three different approaches: Competition in the Market; Competition for the Market and the introductioin of a system of comparative efficiency. None of these approaches seem to solely fit for the fragmented structure of the German market. Therefore it is suggested to choose different regulatory approaches depending on the size of the company. Whereas incentives should be created for smaller companies to merge, the big ones should already start with a system of comparative efficiency. In the longer run the merged companies also ought to integrate into this regulatory system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Economic Policy, Cologne, Germany in its series IWP Discussion Paper Series with number 03/2003.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Water; Sewerage; Comparative Efficiency; Germany; Regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L95 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Gas Utilities; Pipelines; Water Utilities
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klemperer, P., 1999.
"Auction Theory: a Guide to the Literature,"
1999-w12, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Auction Theory: A Guide to the Literature," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-W12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kallis, Giorgios & Nijkamp, Peter, 1999. "Evolution of EU water policy : a critical assessment and a hopeful perspective," Serie Research Memoranda 0027, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Müller).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.