Older Workers and Working Time
AbstractContrary to much of the established literature, this paper finds that though many older workers would prefer to reduce their working hours (the overemployed), there is a significant group who would like to work longer hours (the underemployed). And contrary to the assumption that the self-employed are more easily able than employees to select a desired combination of hours and the wage rate, this paper finds that older self-employed workers are more likely to wish to adjust their hours, both upward and downward than are employees. A new index of underemployment is used to show that for the UK, since the onset of the Great Recession, underemployment among older workers has been growing more rapidly than unemployment. Using longitudinal data from the UK Labour Force Survey, the paper investigates the effects of overemployment and underemployment on transitions from employment and self-employment into other labour market states. It confirms that overemployment is a significant predictor of retirement among employees while underemployed employees are less likely to retire.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 7546.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2013-08-31 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-08-31 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2013-08-31 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2013-08-31 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-LTV-2013-08-31 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Åstebro & Jing Chen & Peter Thompson, 2011.
"Stars and Misfits: Self-Employment and Labor Market Frictions,"
INFORMS, vol. 57(11), pages 1999-2017, November.
- Thomas Astebro & Jing Chen & Peter Thompson, 2010. "Stars and Misfits: Self-Employment and Labor Market Frictions," Working Papers 1003, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Joern Block & Philipp Koellinger, 2008.
"I can't get no Satisfaction - Necessity Entrepreneurship and Procedural Utility,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-078/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joern Block & Philipp Koellinger, 2009. "I Can't Get No Satisfaction-Necessity Entrepreneurship and Procedural Utility," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(2), pages 191-209, 04.
- Block, J.H. & Koellinger, Ph.D., 2008. "I Can’t Get No Satisfaction - Necessity Entrepreneurship and Procedural Utility," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-051-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Lombard, Karen V, 2001. "Female Self-Employment and Demand for Flexible, Nonstandard Work Schedules," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(2), pages 214-37, April.
- Adams, Scott J., 2004. "Age discrimination legislation and the employment of older workers," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 219-241, April.
- Ricky Kanabar, 2013.
"Unretirement in England: An Empirical Perspective,"
13/25, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Gielen, A. C., 2007.
"Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply,"
2007-49, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Anne C. Gielen, 2009. "Working hours flexibility and older workers' labor supply," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 240-274, April.
- Gielen, Anne C., 2007. "Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply," IZA Discussion Papers 2946, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joanna Lahey, 2006.
"State Age Protection Laws and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act,"
Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
wp2006-24, Center for Retirement Research, revised Nov 2006.
- Joanna Lahey, 2008. "State Age Protection Laws and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 433-460, 08.
- Joanna Lahey, 2006. "State Age Protection Laws and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act," NBER Working Papers 12048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2011. "The Transition from Work to Retirement," IZA Discussion Papers 5490, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David G. Blanchflower, 2000.
"Self-Employment in OECD Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
7486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1982. "Self-Employment and Labor Force Participation of Older Males (Revised)," NBER Working Papers 0584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1982. "Self-Employment and Labor Force Participation of Older Males," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(3), pages 339-357.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.