Entrepreneurship and the Business Cycle
AbstractWe find new empirical regularities in the business cycle in a cross-country panel of 22 OECD countries for the period 1972 to 2007; entrepreneurship Granger-causes the cycles of the world economy. Furthermore, the entrepreneurial cycle is positively affected by the national unemployment cycle. We discuss possible causes and implications of these findings. © 2012 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andre van Stel, .
"COMPENDIA: Harmonizing business ownership data across countries and over time,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- André van Stel, 2004. "COMPENDIA: Harmonizing business ownership data across countries and over time," Scales Research Reports N200413, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Andre van Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, .
"The effect of entrepreneurial activity on national economic growth,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-04, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- André Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2005. "The Effect of Entrepreneurial Activity on National Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 311-321, 02.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Martin Carree, 2005. "The effect of entrepreneurial activity on national economic growth," Scales Research Reports N200419, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- De Meza, D. & Southey, C., 1995.
"The Borrower's Curse: Optimism, Finance and Enterpreneurship,"
9502, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- de Meza, David & Southey, Clive, 1996. "The Borrower's Curse: Optimism, Finance and Entrepreneurship," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 375-86, March.
- Malchow-Møller, Nikolaj & Schjerning, Bertel & Sørensen, Anders, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship, job Creation, and Wage Growth,"
13-2008, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Jolanda Hessels & Marco Gelderen & Roy Thurik, 2008. "Entrepreneurial aspirations, motivations, and their drivers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 323-339, October.
- Åstebro, Thomas & Thompson, Peter, 2011.
"Entrepreneurs, Jacks of all trades or Hobos?,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 637-649, June.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt, 2004.
"SMEs, Growth, and Poverty,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
11278, The World Bank.
- Mathilde Aubry & Jean Bonnet & Patricia Renou-Maissant, 2013. "Business cycle and entrepreneurial behavior using French regional data," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201304, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Gary Solon & Ryan Michaels & Michael W. L. Elsby, 2009.
"The Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 84-110, January.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Block, Joern & Sandner, Philipp & De Vries, Geertjan, 2010. "Venture capital and the financial crisis: an empirical study across industries and countries," MPRA Paper 20287, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mathilde Aubry & Jean Bonnet & Patricia Renou-Maissant, 2013. "Cycle économique et comportement entrepreneurial sur données régionales françaises," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201332, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- José Ernesto Amoros & Niels Bosma & Jonathan Levie, 2011. "Ten Years of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Accomplishments and Prospects," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1105, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised Aug 2011.
- Marcus Dejardin, 2011. "Linking net entry to regional economic growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 443-460, May.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Gerard Scholman, 2014. "The relationship between entrepreneurial activity, the business cycle and economic openness," Scales Research Reports H201218, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Gries Thomas & Naude Wim, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis,"
Entrepreneurship Research Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-43, July.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis," Working Paper Series wp2010-57, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2013.
"Self-employment and the local business cycle,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies
2013:9, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2013. "Self-employment and the local business cycle," Working Paper Series 2013:16, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2013. "Self-employment and the local business cycle," Working Paper Series 2013:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Fritsch, Michael & Kritikos, Alexander S. & Pijnenburg, Katharina, 2013. "Business Cycles, Unemployment and Entrepreneurial Entry: Evidence from Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 7852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Niels Bosma, 2012. "The Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) and its Impact on Entrepreneurship Research," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1201, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised May 2012.
- Michael Anyadike-Danes & Mark Hart & Helena Lenihan, 2011. "New business formation in a rapidly growing economy: the Irish experience," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 503-516, May.
- Albiol, Judit, 2012. "Business Exits entail greater future levels of entrepreneurship? An empirical analysis at country level," Working Papers 2072/211754, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Alexander Kritikos & Alina Sorgner, 2013. "Drivers of Self-Employment - A Multivariate Decomposition Analysis for the Case of Germany," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-006, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Drivers of entrepreneurship and post-entry performance : microeconomic evidence from advanced and developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6245, The World Bank.
- Joao Ricardo Faria & Juan Carlos Cuestas & Estefania Mourelle, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship and unemployment: a nonlinear bidirectional causality,"
2008/6, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Faria, João Ricardo & Cuestas, Juan Carlos & Mourelle, Estefanía, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and unemployment: A nonlinear bidirectional causality?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1282-1291, September.
- André van Stel & J. Cieslik Cieslik, 2014. "Trends in Business Ownership in Central and East European Transition Economies," Scales Research Reports H201202, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Marco Vivarelli, 2012. "Entrepreneurship and Post-Entry Performance: the Microeconomic Evidence," DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali dises1286, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.