Inflation Targeting in Latin America
AbstractThis paper analyzes Latin AmericaÂ’s recent experience with the use of inflation targeting (IT) while the region has made substantial progress toward eradicating high inflation. The paper assesses the implementation and results of inflation targeting in Latin America from a broad perspective. It starts by reviewing the issues relevant for the choice of exchange-rate regimes and monetary frameworks, documenting the evolution of exchange rate and monetary regimes in Latin America during the last two decades. Then it describes the Latin American and world samples of inflation targeters and compares their performance to non-targeters, focusing on their success in meeting inflation targets, their output sacrifice in achieving low inflation, and their output volatility. A more detailed analysis of five IT experiences follows for Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru, with reference to the design of IT in the world sample of inflation targeters. The paper concludes by focusing on the dynamics of inflation reduction in the longest IT experience in the region (the case of Chile), evaluating how IT has affected inflation expectations and hence the effectiveness of monetary policy, using a battery of alternative model estimations and simulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 230.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1985. "International Prices, Wages and Inflation in an Open Economy: A Chilean Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 564-73, November.
- Andrew Berg & Paolo Mauro & Michael Mussa & Alexander K. Swoboda & Esteban Jadresic & Paul R. Masson, 2000. "Exchange Rate Regimes in an Increasingly Integrated World Economy," IMF Occasional Papers 193, International Monetary Fund.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Vegh, Carlos A., 1997.
"Banks and macroeconomic disturbances under predetermined exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 239-278, October.
- Sebastian Edwards & Carlos A. Végh, 1997. "Banks and Macroeconomic Disturbances Under Predetermined Exchange Rates," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 115, Universidad del CEMA.
- Sebastian Edwards & Carlos A. Vegh, 1997. "Banks and Macroeconomics Disturbances under Predetermined Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 5977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The mirage of fixed exchange rates,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Mishkin, Frederic S. & Savastano, Miguel A., 2001.
"Monetary policy strategies for Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2685, The World Bank.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 2000.
"Open-economy inflation targeting,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 155-183, February.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999.
"Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999. "Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614 Elsevier.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997.
"Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
5893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 97-116, Spring.
- Frederic S Mishkin, 1997.
"Strategies for Controlling Inflation,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Philip Lowe (ed.), Monetary Policy and Inflation Targeting
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Tapia, Matias, 2002. "Inflation targeting in Chile," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 125-146, August.
- Andrés Elberg & Vittorio Corbo & José Tessada, 1999. "Monetary Policy in Latin America: Underpinnings and Procedures," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 36(109), pages 897-927.
- Bruno, Michael, 1978. "Exchange Rates, Import Costs, and Wage-Price Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 379-403, June.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1998. "Policy rules and targets: framing the central banker's problem," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 1-14.
- Felipe Morandé & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2000.
"Chile's Peso: Better Than (Just) Living with the Dollar?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
68, Central Bank of Chile.
- Felipe Morandé & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2000. "Chile's Peso: Better than (Just) Living with the Dollar?," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 37(110), pages 177-226.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1993. "Exchange Rates, Inflation and Disinflation: Latin American Experiences," NBER Working Papers 4320, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vittorio Corbo, 1998. "Reaching One-Digit Inflation: The Chilean Experience," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 123-163, November.
- Chayawadee Chai-anant & Runchana Pongsaparn & Kessarin Tansuwanarat, 2008. "Roles of Exchange Rate in Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting: A Case Study for Thailand," Working Papers 2008-03, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Donal McGettigan & Kenji Moriyama & Jean F Noah Ndela Ntsama & Francois Painchaud & Haonan Qu & Chad Steinberg, 2013. "Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: Taming the Cycle," IMF Working Papers 13/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Dai, Meixing & Sidiropoulos, Moïse, 2003. "Inflation Targeting, Capital Mobility and Macroeconomic Stability," MPRA Paper 13858, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2005.
- Cohen, Joseph N., 2008. "Managing the Faustian bargain: monetary autonomy in the pursuit of development in Eastern Europe and Latin America," MPRA Paper 22435, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arminio Fraga & Ilan Goldfajn & Andre Minella, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
10019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanchez-Fung, Jose R, 2003.
"Inflation targeting and monetary analysis in Chile and Mexico,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
179, Royal Economic Society.
- Jose Sanchez-Fung, 2004. "Inflation targeting and monetary analysis in Chile and Mexico," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 82, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jorge Lorca, 2005. "Quantifying the Causal Effect of Inflation Targets," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 337, Central Bank of Chile.
- Cesar R Sobrino, 2010. "The Effects of Inflation Targeting on the Current Account: An Empirical Examination," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1105-1112.
- Sebastián Edwards, 2007. "The Relationship between Exchange Rates and Inflation Targeting Revisited," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting, edition 1, volume 11, chapter 10, pages 373-413 Central Bank of Chile.
- Ronald H. Lange, 2013. "Monetary policy reactions and the exchange rate: a regime-switching structural VAR for Canada," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 612-632, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amparo García).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.