Training Participation of an Aging Workforce in an Internal Labor Market
AbstractWe use a long panel data set for four entry cohorts into an internal labor market to analyze the effect of age on the probability to participate in different training measures. We find that training participation probabilities are inverted u-shaped with age and that longer training measures are undertaken earlier in life and working career, respectively. These findings are consistent with predictions from a human capital model which incorporates amortization period and screening effects. Our results point to a market failure in the context of human capital investments to increase employability of older workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät in its series Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen Fakultät der Leibniz Universität Hannover with number dp-447.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Human capital; Internal labor markets; Training;
Other versions of this item:
- Christian Pfeifer & Simon Janssen & Philip Yang & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2010. "Training Participation of an Aging Workforce in an Internal Labor Market," Working Paper Series in Economics 170, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- M53 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Training
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2010-06-18 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-HRM-2010-06-18 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2010-06-18 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stefanie Glotzbach, 2012. "Environmental justice in agricultural systems. An evaluation of success factors and barriers by the example of the Philippine farmer network MASIPAG," Working Paper Series in Economics 225, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dietrich, Karl).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.