Economic development and CO2 emissions: assessing the effect of policy and energy time events for advanced countries
AbstractThis paper documents the structural differences that exist among advanced countries with regard to their long run carbon dioxide-income relationships. The application of intervention analysis to the framework of Environmental Kuznets curves shows that time related effects, namely structural breaks, have been predominantly relevant in explaining the eventual occurrence of `bell shaped curves' with significant turning points. We indeed present heterogeneity of effects when comparing advanced countries long run dynamics. The second oil shock in the 80's and the 1992 Rio convention are among the major underlying causes of temporal breaks. Thus, environmental policy can exert long run beneficial shocks to the energy-economic system. Evidence provides food for thought for the post Kyoto era policy making, just after the Rio+20 step. Market and policy shocks are likely to be dynamically interrelated, but generating mutually interactive effects in the way the system `adapts' and reacts to changing (pricing) conditions over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL) in its series Working Papers with number 2013-11.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1241 rue des Résidences, Domaine Universitaire, 38400 Saint Martin d'Hères
Phone: (0033) 4 76 82 54 39
Web page: http://www.grenoble.inra.fr/
More information through EDIRC
ENVIRONMENTAL KUZNETS CURVE; CARBON KUZNETS CURVE; RIO CONVENTION; POLICY EVENT; OIL SHOCK; INTERVENTION ANALYSIS; STRUCTURAL BREAK;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- Q53 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Air Pollution; Water Pollution; Noise; Hazardous Waste; Solid Waste; Recycling
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-12-06 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-12-06 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2013-12-06 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vollebergh, Herman R.J. & Melenberg, Bertrand & Dijkgraaf, Elbert, 2009. "Identifying reduced-form relations with panel data: The case of pollution and income," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 27-42, July.
- Copeland,B.R. & Scott Taylor,M., 2003.
"Trade, growth and the environment,"
10, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Brock,W.A. & Taylor,M.S., 2004.
"The Green Solow model,"
16, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Iwata, Hiroki & Okada, Keisuke & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2009.
"Empirical Study on the Environmental Kuznets Curve for CO2 in France: The Role of Nuclear Energy,"
18997, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iwata, Hiroki & Okada, Keisuke & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2010. "Empirical study on the environmental Kuznets curve for CO2 in France: The role of nuclear energy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4057-4063, August.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Andreoni, James & Levinson, Arik, 2001.
"The simple analytics of the environmental Kuznets curve,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 269-286, May.
- James Andreoni & Arik Levinson, 1998. "The Simple Analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," NBER Working Papers 6739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arigoni Ortiz, Ramon & Bastianin, Andrea & Bigano, Andrea & Cattaneo, Cristina & Lanza, Alessandro & Manera, Matteo & Markandya, Anil & Plotegher, Michele & Sferra, Fabio, 2009. "Energy efficiency in Europe: trends, convergence and policy effectiveness," MPRA Paper 15763, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Junsoo Lee & John List, 2004. "Examining Trends of Criteria Air Pollutants: Are the Effects of Governmental Intervention Transitory?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 29(1), pages 21-37, September.
- Nasir, Muhammad & Ur Rehman, Faiz, 2011. "Environmental Kuznets Curve for carbon emissions in Pakistan: An empirical investigation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1857-1864, March.
- Martinez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Bengochea-Morancho, Aurelia, 2004. "Pooled mean group estimation of an environmental Kuznets curve for CO2," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 121-126, January.
- Lloyd, Tim & Morrissey, Oliver & Reed, Geoffrey, 1998. "Estimating the Impact of Anti-dumping and Anti-cartel Actions Using Intervention Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 458-76, March.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou & Theologos Pantelidis, 2009.
"Club Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 47-70, September.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou and Theologos Pantelidis, 2007. "Club Convergence in Carbon Dioxide Emissions," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp235, IIIS.
- Perman, Roger & Stern, David I., 2003.
"Evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests that the Environmental Kuznets Curve does not exist,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(3), September.
- Roger Perman & David I. Stern, 2003. "Evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests that the Environmental Kuznets Curve does not exist," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(3), pages 325-347, 09.
- Thompson, Patrick A & Noordewier, Thomas, 1992. "Estimating the Effects of Consumer Incentive Programs on Domestic Automobile Sales," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 409-17, October.
- Wagner, Martin, 2006.
"The Carbon Kuznets Curve. A Cloudy Picture Emitted by Bad Econometrics?,"
197, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wagner, Martin, 2008. "The carbon Kuznets curve: A cloudy picture emitted by bad econometrics?," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 388-408, August.
- Martin Wagner & Georg Müller-Fürstenberger, 2004. "The Carbon Kuznets Curve: A Cloudy Picture Emitted by Bad Econometrics?," Diskussionsschriften dp0418, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Gerlagh, R. & Kverndokk, S. & Rosendahl, K.E., 2009.
"Optimal timing of climate change policy: Interaction between carbon taxes and innovation externalities,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3777015, Tilburg University.
- Reyer Gerlagh & Snorre Kverndokk & Knut Rosendahl, 2009. "Optimal Timing of Climate Change Policy: Interaction Between Carbon Taxes and Innovation Externalities," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 369-390, July.
- Hannes Egli & Thomas Steger, 2007.
"A Dynamic Model of the Environmental Kuznets Curve: Turning Point and Public Policy,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 15-34, January.
- Hannes Egli & Thomas M. Steger, 2004. "A Dynamic Model of the Environmental Kuznets Curve : Turning Point and Public Poliy," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 04/33, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich, revised May 2005.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1994.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
4634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Song, Tao & Zheng, Tingguo & Tong, Lianjun, 2008. "An empirical test of the environmental Kuznets curve in China: A panel cointegration approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 381-392, September.
- Juan Carlos Cuestas & Paulo José Regis, 2008.
"Testing for PPP in Australia: Evidence from unit root test against nonlinear trend stationarity alternatives,"
AccessEcon, vol. 3(27), pages 1-8.
- Juan Carlos Cuestas & Paulo Jose Regis, 2008. "Testing for PPP in Australia: evidence from unit root tests against nonlinear trend stationarity alternatives," Working Papers 2008/3, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Antonio Musolesi, 2013.
"The heterogeneity of carbon Kuznets curves for advanced countries: comparing homogeneous, heterogeneous and shrinkage/Bayesian estimators,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(27), pages 3827-3842, September.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Antonio Musolesi, 2012. "The heterogeneity of Carbon Kuznets Curves for advanced countries. Comparing homogeneous, heterogeneous and shrinkage/Bayesian estimators," Working Papers 201206, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- AkbostancI, Elif & Türüt-AsIk, Serap & Tunç, G. Ipek, 2009. "The relationship between income and environment in Turkey: Is there an environmental Kuznets curve?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 861-867, March.
- Mazzanti, M. & Musolesi, A., 2013. "Nonlinearity, heterogeneity and unobserved effects in the carbon dioxide emissions-economic development relation for advanced countries," Working Papers 2013-08, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Haščič & David Popp, 2010.
"Renewable Energy Policies and Technological Innovation: Evidence Based on Patent Counts,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(1), pages 133-155, January.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Hascic & David Popp, 2008. "Renewable Energy Policies And Technological Innovation: Evidence Based On Patent Counts," NBER Working Papers 13760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Marin & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2013. "The evolution of environmental and labor productivity dynamics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 357-399, April.
- Chimeli, Ariaster B. & Braden, John B., 2009. "A capital scarcity theory of the environmental Kuznets curve," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 541-564, October.
- Khanna, Neha & Plassmann, Florenz, 2007. "Total factor productivity and the Environmental Kuznets Curve: A comment and some intuition," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 54-58, June.
- Huang, Wei Ming & Lee, Grace W.M. & Wu, Chih Cheng, 2008. "GHG emissions, GDP growth and the Kyoto Protocol: A revisit of Environmental Kuznets Curve hypothesis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 239-247, January.
- Galeotti, Marzio & Lanza, Alessandro & Pauli, Francesco, 2006. "Reassessing the environmental Kuznets curve for CO2 emissions: A robustness exercise," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 152-163, April.
- Ross McKitrick, 2007. "Why did US air pollution decline after 1970?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 491-513, November.
- Carlos Ordás Criado & Jean-Marie Grether, 2010.
"Convergence in per capita CO2 emissions: a robust distributional approach,"
CEPE Working paper series
10-70, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Ordás Criado, C. & Grether, J.-M., 2011. "Convergence in per capita CO2 emissions: A robust distributional approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 637-665, September.
- David Popp, 2002. "Induced Innovation and Energy Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 160-180, March.
- Barrett, Scott, 2005. "Environment and Statecraft: The Strategy of Environmental Treaty-Making," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199286096, September.
- Orubu, Christopher O. & Omotor, Douglason G., 2011. "Environmental quality and economic growth: Searching for environmental Kuznets curves for air and water pollutants in Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 4178-4188, July.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Aurelia Bengochea-Morancho & Rafael Morales-Lage, 2006. "The Impact of Population on CO2 Emissions: Evidence From European Countries," Working Papers 2006.98, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1997. "Testing the unit root with drift hypothesis against nonlinear trend stationarity, with an application to the US price level and interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 29-64, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agnès Vertier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.