Knowledge spillovers and entrepreneurs' export orientation
AbstractIn this paper we draw upon the economics literature, and the literature on knowledge spillovers in particular, to examine to what extent a country's level of foreign direct investment (both inward and outward) and international trade (export and import) influence the export orientation of its entrepreneurs. We also examine the relationship between entrepreneurs export orientation and a country's overall level of entrepreneurial activity. We test our hypotheses using macro-level data on 34 countries over a four year time period (2002-2005). We find that a country's outward foreign direct investment as well as its export and import positively influence entrepreneurs export orientation. We also find that the extent to which a country's entrepreneurs engage in export-oriented activities affects the subsequent emergence of new businesses within the country's borders. We discuss our findings, and point to the study's implications, limitations and future research possibilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EIM Business and Policy Research in its series Scales Research Reports with number H200619.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: 20 Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- de Clercq, D. & Hessels, S.J.A. & van Stel, A.J., 2007. "Knowledge Spillovers and Entrepreneurs’ Export Orientation," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-038-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- M - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lipsey & Guy V.G. Stevens, 1992.
"Interactions between Domestic and Foreign Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stevens, Guy V. G. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1992. "Interactions between domestic and foreign investment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, February.
- Guy V.G. Stevens & Robert E. Lipsey, 1988. "Interactions between domestic and foreign investment," International Finance Discussion Papers 329, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Yih-Chyi Chuang & Chi-Mei Lin, 1999. "Foreign direct investment, R&D and spillover efficiency: Evidence from Taiwan's manufacturing firms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 117-137.
- Zoltan Acs & Colm O’Gorman & Laszlo Szerb & Siri Terjesen, 2007.
"Could the Irish Miracle be Repeated in Hungary?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 123-142, March.
- Zoltan Acs & Colm O'Gorman & Laszlo Szerb & Siri Terjesen, 2006. "Could The Irish Miracle Be Repeated in Hungary?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-33, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Ioana Popovici, 2005. "Outward R&D and Knowledge Spillovers: Evidence Using Patent Citations," Working Papers 0516, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1988.
"Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production in High-Tech Industries,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 429-34, May.
- Jeffrey Bernstein & Ishaq Nadiri, 1988. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production in High-Tech Industries," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 88-01, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1988. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates Of Return, and Production In High-Tech Industries," NBER Working Papers 2554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Requena-Silvente, 2005. "The Decision to Enter and Exit Foreign Markets: Evidence from U.K. SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 237-253, October.
- Koster, Sierdjan & Karlsson, Charlie, 2009. "New Firm Formation and Economic Development in a Globalizing Economy," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 167, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.