International Entrepreneurship: An Introduction, Framework and Research Agenda
AbstractThis paper provides an introduction into the field of international entrepreneurship. A definition of international entrepreneurship and associated key concepts is given and the research domain of international entrepreneurship is described. A substantial part of the international entrepreneurship literature concentrates on the internationalization of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and new ventures. Based on an analysis of the existing literature the current paper provides a framework for the study of antecedents and outcomes of SME and new venture internationalization and presents a number of avenues for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EIM Business and Policy Research in its series Scales Research Reports with number H200823.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 11 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sander Wennekers, 2006. "Entrepreneurship at Country Level : Economic and Non-Economic Determinants," Scales Research Reports R200602, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Jolanda Hessels, 2006. "Innovation and international involvement of Dutch SMEs," Scales Research Reports H200606, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- McDougall, Patricia Phillips & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1996. "New venture internationalization, strategic change, and performance: A follow-up study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenaway, David & Gullstrand, Joakim & Kneller, Richard, 2008. "Surviving globalisation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 264-277, March.
- Hessels, S.J.A. & van Stel, A.J., 2007.
"Export Orientation among New Ventures and Economic Growth,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2007-008-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- André van Stel & Jolanda Hessels, 2006. "Export Orientation among New Ventures and Economic Growth," Scales Research Reports H200626, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Dirk Clercq & Jolanda Hessels & André Stel, 2008. "Knowledge spillovers and new ventures’ export orientation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 283-303, October.
- Siri Terjesen & Jolanda Hessels, 2009. "Varieties of export-oriented entrepreneurship in Asia," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 537-561, September.
- Stam, Erik & Stel, Andre van, 2009. "Types of Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," MERIT Working Papers 049, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Parker,Simon C., 2004.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, April.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, April.
- Greenaway, David & Sousa, Nuno & Wakelin, Katharine, 2004. "Do domestic firms learn to export from multinationals?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1027-1043, November.
- Marco van Gelderen & Roy Thurik & Jolanda Hessels, 2007. "Drivers of entrepreneurial aspirations at the country lever: the role of start-up motivations and social security," Scales Research Reports H200710, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Jolanda Hessels, 2008. "Overcoming Resource-Constraints through Internationalization? An Empirical Analysis of European SMEs," Scales Research Reports H200806, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- McDougall, Patricia P., 1989. "International versus domestic entrepreneurship: New venture strategic behavior and industry structure," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 387-400, November.
- Gary A Knight & S Tamar Cavusgil, 2004. "Innovation, organizational capabilities, and the born-global firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 124-141, March.
- Shaker A Zahra, 2005. "A theory of international new ventures: a decade of research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(1), pages 20-28, January.
- Jolanda Hessels & Siri Terjesen, 2007. "SME Choice of Direct and Indirect Export Modes: Resource Dependency and Institutional Theory Perspectives," Scales Research Reports H200712, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Fletcher, Richard, 2001. "A holistic approach to internationalisation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Lu, Jane W. & Beamish, Paul W., 2006. "Partnering strategies and performance of SMEs' international joint ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 461-486, July.
- Jeffrey E. Johnson, 2004. "Factors Influencing the Early Internationalization of High Technology Start-ups: US and UK Evidence," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 2(1_2), pages 139-154, 03.
- Gary A Knight & S Tamer Cavusgil, 2004. "Innovation, organizational capabilities, and the born-global firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 334-334, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.