A holistic approach to internationalisation
AbstractPrevious research into internationalisation has viewed it as being an export-led phenomenon. Although this is a phenomenon that extends to other activities such as licensing and manufacture overseas, it is usually considered from an 'outward' perspective. In this paper it is argued that internationalisation is no longer just an outward-driven activity and that firms also become internationalised by undertaking import-led activities and activities in which 'inward' and 'outward' activities are 'linked', as happens with strategic alliances, cooperative manufacture and countertrade. The paper demonstrates that a majority of firms engage in 'inward' and 'linked' international activities as well as 'outward' activities. It also illustrates that the factors that predict outward internationalisation also predict 'inward' and, to a lesser extent, 'linked' internationalisation. The paper questions the traditional view that internationalisation should be progressive and incremental and explores the issue of de-internationalisation and its role in the long-term internationalisation of the firm. The implications of the above conceptual approach to internationalisation are discussed briefly and illustrated in the case of government programs of export assistance, born global firms, firms operating on a global basis and firms undertaking international business in the electronic environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip J Rosson & I David Ford, 1982. "Manufacturer-Overseas Distributor Relations and export Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(2), pages 57-72, June.
- Stan D Reid, 1981. "The Decision-Maker and Export Entry and Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(2), pages 101-112, June.
- Reid, Stan, 1984. "Information acquisition and export entry decisions in small firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 141-157, June.
- Claude L Simpson & Duane Kujawa, 1974. "The Export Decision Process: An Empirical Inquiry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 5(1), pages 107-117, March.
- Kumcu, Erdogan & Harcar, Talha & Kumcu, M. Ercan, 1995. "Managerial perceptions of the adequacy of export incentive programs : Implications for export-led economic development policy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 163-174, February.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Warren J Bilkey & George Tesar, 1977. "The Export Behavior of Smaller-Sized Wisconsin Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 93-98, March.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Naor, Jacob, 1987. "Firm and management characteristics as discriminators of export marketing activity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 221-235, June.
- De Maeseneire, Wouter & Claeys, Tine, 2012. "SMEs, foreign direct investment and financial constraints: The case of Belgium," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 408-424.
- Thomas Zwick, 2007.
"Apprenticeship Training in Germany? Investment or Productivity Driven?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-023, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Zwick, Thomas, 2007. "Apprenticeship training in Germany - investment or productivity driven?," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(2/3), pages 193-204.
- Brendan Gray & Rod McNaughton, 2010. "Knowledge, values and internationalisation—introduction to the special edition," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 115-120, June.
- Di Gregorio, Dante & Musteen, Martina & Thomas, Douglas E., 2008. "International new ventures: The cross-border nexus of individuals and opportunities," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 186-196, March.
- Diana Tuomasjukka & Staffan Berg & Marcus Lindner, 2013. "Managing Sustainability of Fennoscandian Forests and Their Use by Law and/or Agreement: For Whom and Which Purpose?," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(1), pages 18-49, December.
- Fortanier, Fabienne & Tulder, Rob van, 2008. "Internationalization trajectories - a crosscountry comparison: Are large Chinese and Indian companies different?," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Philip Raines & Ross Brown, 2001. "From 'International' to 'Global': The Scottish Enterprise Global Companies Strategy and New Approaches to Overseas Expansion," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(7), pages 657-662.
- Jolanda Hessels, 2008. "International Entrepreneurship: An Introduction, Framework and Research Agenda," Scales Research Reports H200823, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Kais Mejri & Katsuhiro Umemoto, 2010. "Small- and medium-sized enterprise internationalization: Towards the knowledge-based model," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 156-167, June.
- Acedo, Francisco J. & Jones, Marian V., 2007. "Speed of internationalization and entrepreneurial cognition: Insights and a comparison between international new ventures, exporters and domestic firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 236-252, September.
- Andersson, P., 2002. "Connected internationalisation processes: the case of internationalising channel intermediaries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 365-383, June.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:2/3:p:193-204 is not listed on IDEAS
- Swoboda, Bernhard & Olejnik, Edith & Morschett, Dirk, 2011. "Changes in foreign operation modes: Stimuli for increases versus reductions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 578-590, October.
- Welch, Catherine L. & Welch, Lawrence S., 2009. "Re-internationalisation: Exploration and conceptualisation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 567-577, December.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2012. "How Do Smaller Firms Select Foreign Markets?," MPRA Paper 49117, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Nov 2012.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2007.
"Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing: From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 239-257.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2005. "Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing - From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking," DRUID Working Papers 05-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2011. "Foreign Markets Entry Mode Decision for Italian Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," MPRA Paper 50067, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Oct 2011.
- Bell, Jim & McNaughton, Rod & Young, Stephen, 2001. "'Born-again global' firms: An extension to the 'born global' phenomenon," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 173-189.
- Liu, Xiaming & Xiao, Wen & Huang, Xianhai, 2008. "Bounded entrepreneurship and internationalisation of indigenous Chinese private-owned firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 488-508, August.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2012. "The Influence Of Decision-Maker Characteristics On The International Strategic Decision-Making Process: An SME Perspective," MPRA Paper 50063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jolanda Hessels & Siri Terjesen, 2008. "Entrepreneurial Career Capital, Innovation and New Venture Export Orientation," Scales Research Reports H200808, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Abu Hatab, Assem & Hess, Sebastian, 2013. "Opportunities and Constraints for Small Agricultural Exporters in Egypt," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.