Why do macro wage elasticities diverge?
AbstractThis study analyses macro wage elasticities on labour productivity, payroll taxes, average and marginal income tax, consumer and producer prices, the replacement ratio and the unemployment rate. The data have been analyzed in a meta analysis that relates differences in each elasticity of pay to variations in study characteristics, economic or institutional variables and the econometric specification of underlying wage equations. The results indicate that notably the econometric specification of the reported wage equation matters. The dynamic specification, the choice of explanatory variables and restrictions on estimated coefficients all have their impact on estimated elasticities. The reported value of the output price elasticity of pay is sensitive to restrictions on the consumer price and vice versa. In case of tax elasticities the dynamic specification matters, and the value of the replacement ratio elasticity of pay based on sectoral data is higher than the one obtained from macro data. The results for the unemployment elasticity of pay are close to those found in the wage curve literature. Finally, we generate benchmark values for each type of elasticity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis in its series CPB Memorandum with number 224.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daveri, Francesco & Tabellini, Guido, 1997.
"Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, 2000. "Unemployment, growth and taxation in industrial countries," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 47-104, 04.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, . "Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries," Working Papers 122, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Johansen, Kare, 1996. "Insider Forces, Asymmetries, and Outsider Ineffectiveness: Empirical Evidence for Norwegian Industries 1966-87," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(1), pages 89-104, January.
- Plasmans J. & Meersman H. & Van Poeck A. & Merlevede B., 2002. "The unemployment benefit system and wage flexibility in EMU: time-varying evidence in five countries," Working Papers 2002020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Carruth, Alan & Schnabel, Claus, 1993. " The Determination of Contract Wages in West Germany," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(3), pages 297-310.
- Grubb, David B. & Jackman, Richard & Layard, Richard, 1983. "Wage rigidity and unemployment in OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 11-39.
- Nymoen, Ragnar, 1989. "Modelling Wages in the Small Open Economy: An Error-Correction Model of Norwegian Manufacturing Wages," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 239-58, August.
- Alogoskoufis, George & Manning, Alan, 1988. "Wage setting and unemployment persistence in Europe, Japan and the USA," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 698-706, March.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999.
"Does the composition of wage and payroll taxes matter under Nash bargaining?,"
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 343-349, September.
- Koskela, E. & Schob, R., 1998. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 443, Department of Economics.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 1999. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining?," Discussion Papers 203, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004.
"How Flexible Are Wages In EU Accession Countries?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
128, Royal Economic Society.
- Iara, Anna & Traistaru, Iulia, 2003. "How flexible are wages in EU accession countries?," ZEI Working Papers B 25-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible are Wages in EU Accession Countries?," ERSA conference papers ersa04p191, European Regional Science Association.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, June.
- Albert van der Horst, 2003.
"Structural estimates of equilibrium unemployment in six OECD economies,"
CPB Discussion Paper
19, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Albert van der Horst, 2003. "Structural Estimates of Equilibrium Unemployment in Six OECD Economies," Economics Working Papers 022, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders, 1991. "Real-Wage Determination and Labour Market Policies: The Swedish Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1130-48, September.
- Dolado, Juan José & Bentolila, Samuel, 1994. "Labour Flexibility and Wages : lessons from Spain," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3309, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Luca Nunziata, 2001.
"Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-Country Approach,"
2001-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Luca Nunziata, 2005. "Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-country Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(4), pages 435-466, 08.
- L. Nunziata, 2002. "Institutions and Wage Determination: A Multi-Country Approach," Working Papers 433, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Johansen, Kare, 1995. "Norwegian Wage Curves," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(2), pages 229-47, May.
- Florax, R.J.G.M., 2002. "Accounting for dependence among study results in Meta-Analysis: methodology and applications to the valuation and use of natural resources," Serie Research Memoranda 0005, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Forslund, Anders & Gottfries, Nils & Westermark, Andreas, 2005.
"Real and nominal wage adjustment in open economies,"
Working Paper Series
2005:23, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Forslund, Anders & Gottfries, Nils & Westermark, Andreas, 2005. "Real and Nominal Wage Adjustment in Open Economies," Working Paper Series 2005:18, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Anders Forslund & Nils Gottfries & Andreas Westermark, 2006. "Real and Nominal Wage Adjustment in Open Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1649, CESifo Group Munich.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1991.
"Insider effects in wage determination : Evidence from five countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1009-1034, July.
- Holmlund, B. & Zetterberg, J., 1989. "Insider Effects In Wage Determination: Evidence From Five Countries," Papers 1989a, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Freedman, David A., 2006. "On The So-Called "Huber-Sandwich Estimator" and "Robust Standard Errors"," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 60, pages 299-302, November.
- Broer, D.P. & Draper, D.A.G. & Huizinga, F.H., 2000. "The equilibrium rate of unemployment in the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-383721, Tilburg University.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lupi, Claudio & Ordine, Patrizia, 2003. "Average Labor Taxes and Unemployment: Evidence from Italian Regions," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03011, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Carruth, Alan & Oswald, Andrew, 1987. "Wage Inflexibility in Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(1), pages 59-78, February.
- Giorgio Brunello & Daniela Sonedda, 2006.
"Progressive Taxation and Wage Setting when Unions Strategically Interact,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0017, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Giorgio Brunello & Daniela Sonedda, 2007. "Progressive taxation and wage setting when unions strategically interact," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 127-140, January.
- Miquel Clar & Christian Dreger & Ra�l Ramos, 2007.
"Wage Flexibility and Labour Market Institutions: A Meta-Analysis,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 145-163, 05.
- Clar, Miquel & Dreger, Christian & Ramos, Raul, 2007. "Wage Flexibility and Labour Market Institutions: A Meta-Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 2581, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrews, Martyn J, 1987. "The Aggregate Labour Market: An Empirical Investigation into Market-Clearing for the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(385), pages 157-76, March.
- Tyrvainen, Timo, 1995. "Wage Setting, Taxes and Demand for Labour: Multivariate Analysis of Cointegrating Relations," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 271-97.
- Nymoen, Ragnar, 1992. "Finnish manufacturing wages 1960-1987: Real-wage flexibility and hysteresis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 429-451, August.
- Graafland, J.J. & Huizinga, F.H., 1998. "Taxes and benefits in a non-linear wage equation," MPRA Paper 21076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H.M.M. Peeters & A.H.J. den Reijer, 2002. "On Wage Formation, Wage Development and Unemployment Flexibility: a Comparison between European Countries and the United States," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 712, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Fase, M. M. G. & Kramer, P. & Boeschoten, W. C., 1992. "MORKMON II : The Nederlandsche Bank's quarterly model of the Netherlands economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 146-204, April.
- Minford, Patrick, 1983. "Labour Market Equilibrium in an Open Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(0), pages 207-44, Supplemen.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1987. "Why Is Wage Inflation in Britain So High?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(1), pages 103-28, February.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Dolado, Juan J., 1993. "Who Are the Insiders? Wage Setting in Spanish Manufacturing Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 754, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kare Johansen, 1999. "Insider forces in wage determination: new evidence for Norwegian industries," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(1), pages 137-147.
- Manning, Alan, 1987. "Collective bargaining institutions and efficiency : An application of a sequential bargaining model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 168-176.
- Pencavel, John & Holmlund, Bertil, 1988. "The Determination of Wages, Employment, and Work Hours in an Economy with Centralised Wage-Setting: Sweden, 1950-83," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1105-26, December.
- Moghadam, R. & Wren-Lewis, S., 1990.
"Are Wages Forward Looking?,"
375, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- T. D. Stanley, 2001. "Wheat from Chaff: Meta-analysis as Quantitative Literature Review," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 131-150, Summer.
- Holly, Sean & Smith, Peter, 1987. "A Two-Sector Analysis of the UK Labour Market," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(1), pages 79-102, February.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1991. "Real Wages and Unemployment in Australia," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 35-55, February.
- Dave Turner & Pete Richardson & Sylvie Rauffet, 1996. "Modelling the Supply Side of the Seven Major OECD Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 167, OECD Publishing.
- H.M.M. Peeters & A.H.J. den Reijer, 2001. "On Wage Formation, Wage Development and Unemployment," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 677, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Nymoen, Ragnar & Rodseth, Asbjorn, 2003. "Explaining unemployment: some lessons from Nordic wage formation," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Nivet, Jean-Francois, 1999. "Insider power and wage setting in transition: Evidence from a panel of large Polish firms, 1988-1994," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1137-1147, April.
- Edmund S. Phelps, 1968. "Money-Wage Dynamics and Labor-Market Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 678.
- Forslund, Anders & Kolm, Ann-Sofie, 2000. "Active labour market policies and real-wage determination - Swedish evidence," Working Paper Series 2000:7, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Stéphanie Guichard & Jean-Pierre Laffargue, 2000. "The Wage Curve: The Lessons of an Estimation Over a Panel of Countries," Working Papers 2000-21, CEPII research center.
- Holden, Steinar & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2002. " Measuring Structural Unemployment: NAWRU Estimates in the Nordic Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(1), pages 87-104.
- L Christofides & A Oswald, 1991.
"Real Wage Determination and Rent-Sharing in Collective Bargaining Agreements,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0042, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christofides, Louis N & Oswald, Andrew J, 1992. "Real Wage Determination and Rent-Sharing in Collective Bargaining Agreements," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 985-1002, August.
- Jaakko Pehkonen, 1999. "Wage formation in Finland, 1960-1994," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 82-91, Autumn.
- Peeters, Marga & Den Reijer, Ard, 2011. "On wage formation, wage flexibility and wage coordination : A focus on the wage impact of productivity in Germany, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Spain and the United States," MPRA Paper 31102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.