Are Wages Forward Looking?
AbstractThis paper presents a study of U.K. earnings over the period 1967-87 aimed at establishing whether wagesetters anticipate future movements in prices. Two models are proposed: the first where agents form rational predictions about future price movements and the second where they use simple rules-of-thumb based on past price movements. These two dynamic models, based on the same long-run equation, are compared, drawing on the methods of D. F. Hendry. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 46 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Eilev S. Jansen & Ragnar Nymoen, 2000.
"Model Specification and Inflation Forecast Uncertainty,"
Working Paper Series
1302, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, revised 29 Jan 2002.
- Gunnar BARDSEN & Eilev JANSEN & Ragnar NYMOEN, 2002. "Model Specification and Inflation Forecast Uncertainty," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 67-68, pages 495-517.
- Ragnar Nymoen & Gunnar Bardsen & Eilev S. Jansen, 2004. "The empirical relevance of the New Keynesian Phillips curve," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 328, Econometric Society.
- Kees Folmer, 2009. "Why do macro wage elasticities diverge?," CPB Memorandum 224, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Bårdsen, Gunnar & Jansen, Eilev S. & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2003. "Testing the New Keynesian Phillips curve," Memorandum 18/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Darby, Julia & Ireland, Jonathan & Leith, Campbell & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 1998. "COMPACT: a rational expectations, intertemporal model of the United Kingdom economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-52, January.
- Harald Uhlig & Martin Lettau, 1999. "Rules of Thumb versus Dynamic Programming," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 148-174, March.
- Kees Folmer, 2009. "Why do macro wage elasticities diverge? A meta analysis," CPB Discussion Paper 122, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.