Price Convergence: What Can the Balassa-Samuelson Model Tell Us?
AbstractThe paper provides a theoretical reference point for discussions on adjustments in price levels and relative prices. The authors present a 'nested' model integrating the Balassa-Samuelson model of the real equilibrium exchange rate with a model of accumulation of capital and with the demand side of the economy. Consequently, they show how the model can be generalised to a case of numerous commodities with different degrees of tradability. The predictions of the model are generally consistent with empirical findings for Central and Eastern European countries. The authors show how the theoretical model can be used for internally consistent simulations of the future convergence process in a transition economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Czech National Bank, Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 2003/08.
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
Balassa-Samuelson model; inflation; relative prices.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- P22 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2005-04-19 (International Trade)
- NEP-MAC-2005-04-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-04-19 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2005-04-18 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. W.Swan, 1960. "Economic Control In A Dependent Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 51-66, 03.
- Ghosal, Vivek, 2000. "Product market competition and the industry price-cost markup fluctuations:: role of energy price and monetary changes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-444, April.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-77, October.
- Neary, J Peter & Purvis, Douglas D, 1982. " Sectoral Shocks in a Dependent Economy: Long-run Adjustment and Short-run Accommodation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 229-53.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001.
"Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
01/56, International Monetary Fund.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- Broeck, Mark De & Sløk, Torsten, 2001. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L., 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differences," Working papers 543, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1997. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262201119, December.
- Patrick K. Asea, 1994. "The Balassa-Samuelson Model: A General Equilibrium Appraisal," UCLA Economics Working Papers 709, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alan Heston & Robert E. Lipsey, 1999.
"International and Interarea Comparisons of Income, Output, and Prices,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number hest99-1, May.
- Chen, Yi Vivian & Heston, Alan & Lipsey, Robert, 2000. "International and interarea comparisons of income, output and prices," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 363-364, December.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"Can Inter-Industry Wage Differentials Justify Strategic Trade Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
2739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Lawrence H. Summers, 1989. "Can Interindustry Wage Differentials Justify Strategic Trade Policy?," NBER Chapters, in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 85-124 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. E. G. Salter, 1959. "Internal And External Balance: The Role Op Price And Expenditure Effects," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(71), pages 226-238, 08.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Cihak & Tomas Holub, 2003. "Price Convergence to the EU: What Do the 1999 ICP Data Tell Us?," Working Papers 2003/02, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Katics, Michelle M & Petersen, Bruce C, 1994. "The Effect of Rising Import Competition on Market Power: A Panel Data Study of U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 277-86, September.
- Brock, Philip L & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1994.
"The Dependent-Economy Model with Both Traded and Nontraded Capital Goods,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 306-25, October.
- Philip L. Brock & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1993. "The Dependent Economy Model with Both Traded and Non-Traded Capital Goods," NBER Working Papers 4500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asea, Patrick K & Mendoza, Enrique G, 1994. "The Balassa-Samuelson Model: A General-Equilibrium Appraisal," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 244-67, October.
- Bruce Chelimsky Fallick, 1993.
"The hiring of new labor by expanding industries,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Helwege, Jean, 1992. "Sectoral Shifts and Interindustry Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(1), pages 55-84, January.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1982. " Comment on M. Bruno, "Adjustment and Structural Change under Supply Shocks."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 223-27.
- Jack Strauss, 1998. "Relative Price Determination in the Medium Run: The Influence of Wages, Productivity, and International Prices," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 223-244, October.
- John Williamson, 1994. "Estimating Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 17.
- repec:fth:harver:1464 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jose De Gregorio & Thomas Krueger & Alberto Giovannini, 1993. "The Behavior of Nontradable Goods Prices in Europe," IMF Working Papers 93/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1984. "Why Are Services Cheaper in the Poor Countries?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(374), pages 279-86, June.
- Fischer, Stanley & Frenkel, Jacob A., 1972. "Investment, the two-sector model and trade in debt and capital goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 211-233, August.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1986. "Interindustry Wage Differences and Industry Characteristics," NBER Working Papers 2014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luboš Komárek & Martin Motl, 2012. "Behavioural and Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate of the Czech Koruna," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 147-166.
- Vit Barta, 2005. "Fulfilment of the Maastricht Inflation Criterion by the Czech Republic: Potential Costs and Policy Options," Research and Policy Notes 2005/04, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Égert, Balázs, 2004. "Assessing equilibrium exchange rates in CEE acceding countries: Can we have DEER with BEER without FEER? A critical survey of the literature," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jiri Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007.
"Price Convergence in the Enlarged Internal Market,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
730, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price Convergence in the Enlarged Internal Market," CASE Network Reports 0076, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price convergence in the enlarged internal market," European Economy - Economic Papers 292, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Ivan Baboucek & Martin Jancar, 2005. "Effects of Macroeconomic Shocks to the Quality of the Aggregate Loan Portfolio," Working Papers 2005/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Martin Cihak & Tomas Holub, 2005. "Price Convergence in EU-Accession Countries: Evidence from the International Comparison," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 102, pages 59-82.
- Václav Žďárek, 2009. "Challenges for the new EU member states on the road to the Eurozone," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 157-177, July.
- Martin Mandel & Vladimír Tomšík, 2008. "Real Exchange Rate of the Czech Koruna and the Prices of Non-tradable Goods and Services," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(3), pages 3-12.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.